Anyone own a Thunderbolt external drive?
    Tech Guru

Default Anyone own a Thunderbolt external drive?

Just wondering if the speed is really worth the upgrade/should I upgrade? I'd love to take my iTunes library on the go with me when I go to work so I can sort music and then just transfer it back when I get home.

I have an internal and external SSD drive, for development work. It's the fastest ever dev system I've ever worked with. If you get a cheap external SSD drive, even if smaller than corresponding hard drive version, get it. Just watch out if the drive gets close to full, the performance gets really terrible in such cases.

PS: You could just use iTunes Match for the work flow you are describing. This is what I'm doing, sorting out new tracks and sync:ing the metadata info to the target laptop now and then.

Tech Guru

But does iTunes Match sync that data to the locally stored tracks?

Tech Guru

Also if I have to buy another SSD I'd probably hold off since SSD's are still a little much. I guess I'm curious at the speed improvements with a HDD and If I should invest in a 7200 or 10000rpm HD

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    But does iTunes Match sync that data to the locally stored tracks?
    Metadata, yes. If uploaded, same audio file downloaded but WAVs are converted to AAC. If Matched, then the Matched AAC 256 is downloaded. But you could keep all your edited metadata, playlists et rests. Pretty nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Also if I have to buy another SSD I'd probably hold off since SSD's are still a little much. I guess I'm curious at the speed improvements with a HDD and If I should invest in a 7200 or 10000rpm HD
    I would get a cheap FW800 compliant external drive. Or then SSD in case it's just a matter of $50 more. You get more disk space with hard drives, much much faster performance with SSDs, especially internal ones that don't need to fight data bus congestions with the USB or FW circuits.