Is it really worth upgrading to the new MBP Retina yet?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is it really worth upgrading to the new MBP Retina yet?

Hey guys, like many of you out there, I'm a sufferer of R.G.A.S. and this new MBP is looking really good, but on the other hand I already have a fairly new MBP (2011) already. Now since it came out I've been trying to justify to myself reasons to get it even though technically I don't really need it, as mine's still rocking it.

Now I've also been reading about the USB 3 issues and how some DJ equipment does not want to work, it's like the new MBP is ahead of it's time. So with these things in mind, is it really worth selling my current MBP and getting the new one, maybe waiting it out bit until the companies in the market release firmware updates to iron out the issues? So what do you think, yes go for it, or wait?

Oh but I reallyyyyyy want one....
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

I love mine. It would allow you to go to 16 GB as well.

Your Audio 2 allegedly works fine with the rMBP and Mountain Lion
    http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...y-information/
    http://www.native-instruments.com/en...compatibility/

simple answer is NO. If you have any of the controllers soundcard that don't work with USB3 and you sell your current already working fully capable of what you need it to do, to get a new not working with your other gear. you could be without a working setup that might take months or even need new hardware to get working again. Just so you can have a better screen that has a resoltion you might not need in everyday work.
    On the other hand if you do grapics or video then it's an other storry. I have a 1280x800 screen and thats fine for 2 decks in traktor and ok for 4 decks. Your current mac works new might not so it's a gamble and it's you money. also worth to remember they are not upgradable so want more ram you need to buy a new one.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

From the latest issue of MacLife (Kindle version);
    "...The Retina display is a a beauty-depending on which app you're using. If you use a lot of Apple apps (Mail, iCal, iPhoto or Aperture, iTunes, Safari, Final Cut Pro, and so on), everything looks great, with sharp text and bright images that look more like a printed page than a computer display. But if you're using an app built for a lower-resolution display, it's possible the text and images will appear blurry..."

Traktor Pro, or whatever software you're using, may or may not look better with the Retina Display.

Also keep in mind that RAM, hard drive and the battery are NOT user upgradeable.

Since your current MBP is "still rocking it", I say save your money for better things.
    Last edited by dj subculture; 08-16-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

If you already have a newish mac book pro, then do not waste your money. You're better off buying an SSD for your mac. The new ones are way over priced right now anyway, for what is basically a high resolution screen and a few other doodads. The only thing that makes the new one truly stand out is the SSD, which you can easily swap your HD out for. This will make your mac run like the new ones for about $200 - $400 depending on the size SSD you want. I plan to get a 256GB for mine this christmas when prices go down
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Personally I can't wait for other brands to bump up their resolutions in response. I'm not an apple fan in any way but man, I'm glad they made this move. Resolutions have been the same for way too long!
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Personally I can't wait for other brands to bump up their resolutions in response.
    And call it something else too... The term "Retina Display" is stupid.

Tech Mentor

Wouldn't Traktor be almost unusably small at that high of a resolution? (2880×1800)

Mac OS scales programs up. It will look exactly the same.

edit: back on topic- there is zero reason to buy one of these for DJing. The older macbooks are much more suited to the task.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    Wouldn't Traktor be almost unusably small at that high of a resolution? (2880×1800)
    No - Traktor looks great. It isn't full resolution like NI's big three (Kontakt, Reaktor, Guitar Rig) but it certainly doesn't display unusably small.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Mac OS scales programs up. It will look exactly the same.

edit: back on topic- there is zero reason to buy one of these for DJing. The older macbooks are much more suited to the task.
    It will NOT look exactly the same. I have both a rMBP (which I'm typing on) and a MBP from the last generation.
    Logic (which the OP uses), Ableton, Pro Tools, and the NI VSTs look so much better to me on my newer computer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast