How do you share a Traktor setup for a single gig?
    Tech Student

Default How do you share a Traktor setup for a single gig?

What's the best method for sharing your traktor setup with a friend? I want to let a buddy play his tracks thru my Traktor at 1 gig but not incorporate his collection into mine permanently. It would also be nice if I can get my tracks out of his way when he is playing.

I imagine that I can put his stuff in a separate directory, and add that to the list of directories in the files preference tab. That'll mix his tracks in with mine - is there a way for me to easily build him a playlist of only his tracks? Afterwards I'll remove his directory and everything should be back to normal, right?

Also: if I remove my directory from the collection (to move my tracks aside), my tracks will disappear -- will I have to re-grid them, re-build my playlists, etc? or will they come back when I re-add the directory?

Cheers & thanks

make a playlist with his name import his tracks into that playlist the songs will be analyzed might need some beatgrid work. So he only uses that one playlist while playing after you finished just delete all his folders and playlist of your comp. now just do a Check consistency and remove all missin tracks. should be easy if his colection is not 50000 songs.
    You can just add his playlist to the Favorits while in his playlist he can do search and only his songs will show up
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Tech Guru

get him to plug an external HDD into ur laptop (firewire pref is ur on mac) then he can navigate to it like normal, maybe save a shortcut to it for him. the beatgrid info is stored in the id3 tag so no need to worry about that
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    get him to plug an external HDD into ur laptop (firewire pref is ur on mac) then he can navigate to it like normal, maybe save a shortcut to it for him. the beatgrid info is stored in the id3 tag so no need to worry about that
    this x2

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Student

Thanks all - (btw yep I'm on a Mac, but an Air so no firewire)

My first thought was to do what Gullum suggested. Import a playlist, let him play from that, then remove. But I like the idea of making a folder. By "navigate to it like normal" you mean via the Explorer folder, right? Tracks from that folder will not enter my collection when used? Seems like a good way to keep the collections separate!

I'm assuming that the same thing would work fine from a USB key or even a drive on my laptop, right? Given that I have a bunch of free space and an SSD I think I might move his folder over first...

Thanks all for the suggestions!
    Last edited by Presto360; 08-16-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Has he got traktor? He can export a playlist to a USB stick. Then copy the folder with the contained .nml playlist file to desktop. Then end of the gig delete folder.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Has he got traktor?
    Nope, he's a Serato user but has played enough with my S2 that I want to give him a shot with his own tracks instead of having to use mine

Still, tunes on desktop, drag into new traktor playlist, delete tunes from desktop at end of gig
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Just delete his tunes at the end and run a consistency check, remove missing files, done.

Make sure you do this before the gig. You absolutely dont want Traktor scanning the tracks mid set. It would KILL your cpu and st-st- stutter the tracks playing.