Ean, et al pro-equipment heads, what's the best USB hub solution?

Default Ean, et al pro-equipment heads, what's the best USB hub solution?

My regular DJ set-up is: MacBook Pro, Traktor Pro, Audio8 DJ I/O, Numark Total Control, and 2channel Numark DXM06 mixer that has seen better days. My MacBook Pro has 2 USB ports, Firewire 400, and a Firewire 800. My external HD with all my music plugs into the Firewire 800. The Audio8 goes into 1 USB port with the Numark TC going into the other USB port. (At home I have an external monitor and all types of periphals/accessories/hubs/etc.).

Sooner or later my mobile setup is going to run out of USB ports. I dread this day simply because I'm so OCD about making sure I remember all the assorted power cords, etc. as well as always having "backups" (for cords/equipment malfunction) in my gear bag. Also, right now it's easy to keep track of my gear's required cords because I really just have to not forget the computer & mixer power supplys, the rest of the USB/firewire/RCA cords stay connected to their relative piece of equipment.

So my question is this: is there a USB hub that exists out there that is trustworthy/reliable? What are your recommendations?

Like I said obviously I already have a couple USB hubs on my desk, etc, but what I'm looking for is to be able to assign a particular hub that always travels with me. When I say trustworthy/reliable, I mean, is there a hub out there that is guaranteed to work (~as in transfer power~) to my various devices without a power cord? Just looking for recommendations, there isn't really a "Pyle Pro USB Hub" market segment, so most hubs are trying to sell people the cheapest parts for most money, etc.

Tech Guru

get a 4port usb2 express card.
    that way you have those original 2 usb ports still available plus 4 fairly fast powered usb2 ports to go along those.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Quote Originally Posted by djgeekdout View Post
    Is there a USB hub that exists out there that is trustworthy/reliable? What are your recommendations?

I have been recommended this hub based off the Genesys Logic GL852 USB chipset:

http://www.cooldrives.com/7usb20muttul.html
    http://www.compusb.com/usb207pohubw.html

Available from many places, it is a multi TT hub that allows each port to run at it's native speed (more on the chipset http://www.genesyslogic.com/_en/product_01_1.php?id=43). The technology fits the bill but I cannot, hand on my heart, say whether it's a reliable device for daily DJ use with the kinds of devices DJTT users use as I havent had one in my hands yet.

The best I can say is that it's pretty much at the top of my gear shopping list this month, after emptying my Beatport crate.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 06-19-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Tech Mentor

Awesome, lemme know how it goes!

Right now I'm using a Dynex USB hub. It's powered and has 4 ports on it. I can only use certain devices with it, for example my VCI won't work through it nor will my Audio8, so I plug those directly into the laptop. Thankfully everything else (Trigger Finger and external HD) work just fine.

I bought it on a whim, no research or anything. Fatlimey, lemme know how the Genesys works out!

I am using a LEXMA 7 Port USB hub I got from Wal-Mart and its working great for me.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Default good suggestions!

Thanks guys, these are all good suggestions and will influence my next equipment purchase.

j1n

I've heard good stuff about Logitech USB hubs, and if you are like me a visual whore than thats what I would go for. The links to the ones above look hideous =P. But you just cant judge a book by its cover. Hope you find what your looking for and post back and let us know how you like it

Banned

Has anyone thought about buying one of those laptop coolers with a USB HUB integrated into it? Been looking into those the past week and curious if anyone has any experience with them.

Tech Convert

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking into this over the last week and actually had a really bad scare with the USB hub I've been using last night.

Does *anyone* know if it's possible to fry a piece of gear (midi controller or sound card) with a powered USB port?

Monday night I turned my computer off after playing. The USB hub was left plugged in with two midi controllers (Nocturn and Novation Remote Zero SL) and my Audio 8 plugged in, through the hub. I left the room, and then came back right away because all of my gear was switching off and on. I unplugged everything right away.

The next day, *everything* was pooched. Controllers wouldn't work, Audio 8 was only showing two red input lights on Channel C and Traktor wouldn't recognize anything. Switched cables like mad, plethora of restart tricks with Trakor and the computer, nothin doin. Verified that the USB 2 ports in my Mac worked through plugging in my iPod. Verified that my firewire port worked by plugging in my backup audio card, a Saffire Focusrite (which Traktor also recognized.

I had a small fit, fought the urge to vomit, started thinking of contingency plans for my next couple of shows and went to bed.

This morning, the two midi controllers started working. Recognized, powered up and intact.

However, the Audio 8 is still kaput. Won't get recognized by Traktor or my computer, not showing any lights other than the red input lights on Channel C.

So, the only thing I can think of that might have caused this was the USB hub. Any theories from anyone else?
    Evan Jones
    Soundproof / Area709 / Beheshto
    www.soundproof.ca
    www.area709.com/evan