Traktor vs VirtualDJ - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    The trial is crap, you need Pro to unlock all the good stuff

This is probably why I didn't mess with it for more than 45 minutes before deciding Traktor. VDJ was working poorly out of the box with a controller they claimed support as the pro version was needed. Traktor took me a little more digging to finding a mapping I liked, but the trail just wasn't working properly at all with anything to make a choice with VDJ. The demo was the full version, with a time limit, an afternoon with the manual figuring out audio routing, .tsi importing and what not and it was working swimmingly.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    synthet1c, you definitely know your shit when it comes to VDJ...but have you used Traktor as extensively to give it fair comparison? I have 3-4 years under my belt with both and I'm only now considering going back to VDJ, mostly because of you and the buzz surrounding VDJ8. But from 2008 to now I hadn't thought twice of making the switch back. VDJ took a back seat for me and it's fair to say that I wasn't alone.

People don't value the VDJ platform quite the same way that you do. You're a self-proclaimed Fanboy for christ's sake! You're so impartial! That's ok, but customization and flexibility are not ok for beginners. New DJs want effects, but they don't want to go digging for custom effects let alone BUY them after they've just bought the software. Traktor comes with a better variety of effects and in my opinion, they chain much more easily than in VDJ.

For any new user that doesn't want to use DVS, I tell them to get an S2 with Traktor Pro. And in every case where people have told me that they started out with a Mixtrack Pro and VDJ, they thank me for telling them to check out Traktor.

Maybe things look a little different on the Atomix forums, but I've never met anybody who started out with VDJ, switched to Traktor, then went back to VDJ.
    I started with Traktor, then Itch. I have changed to VDJ for sometimes without considering to switch back. I won't say it's the best software, but it's the most suitable one for me

Anyway, I also agree with you that the customization, especially the scripting in mapping, is not for most DJ. I don't think many DJs will be able to make advanced mapping in VDJ without spending sometimes studying about how to write those scripts. It would be even worse for beginners. They absolutely want to learn about DJing instead of coding

Btw, I studied in IT department, so scripting is also fun for me.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

fuck I hate when people say "workflow"
    The worklow of traktor was messing with my chi
    Except for when you use it or was this sarcasm? Hard to tell.

A "workflow" is a linear procedure of actions. If you have a linear procedure for mixing music you should loosen up because something that sounds good for one mix wont necessarily sound good for another.

Quote Originally Posted by American Heritage Dictionary
    work·flow (wûrkfl)
    n.
    1. The flow or progress of work done by a company, industry, department, or person.
    2. The rate at which such flow or progress takes place.
    Workflow does not mean you do A then B then C etc. It is the process it takes you to get from the beginning of a project to the end of a project. In this case it's the process of getting from the beginning of a mix to the end, which doesn't start when I hit play. It starts when I load a song in Traktor. The process I take to get to the end of a mix will be different from many other people which means the workflow will be different.

If I have to program something in my software to use a control on my controller or do something special to a song as it plays then the easier it is for me to do that the more I will like that workflow. Scripting VDJ may be fun to you, to me it sounds like a nightmare. Sure I could learn it, but why should I? I already know Traktor pretty well and am happy with it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

LOL that was sarcasm, I forgot about putting it in "comic sans"

Fair enough, no one has to change, but no one accept me talks about and understands the benefits of VDJ, I'm just sharing what I know and isn't it better to have options?

The whole "workflow" hate thing is because it's a "buzz" word that is quickly picked up by beginners, when people say it it seems they are just repeating what they heard in a video to sound cool. It's the same as people saying "syncing gives me more time to do more important things" I shudder whenever I read it.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

We need all the variety we can get around here. I know you've switched a few people over to VDJ here so it's not a lost message. Keep on keepin on.

It's the same as people saying "syncing gives me more time to do more important things" I shudder whenever I read it.
    Totally agree with you on that.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I think we've all learned what we've always known from this thread. Some people like VDJ, some people like Traktor, some people use Serato, Mixx, blah blah blah. Personal preference and yes, I think workflow has to do with dj software. How things are laid out and setup to work changes how you do things, and some people prefer different layouts of different things. Tis the way the world turns.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Guru

/thread

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345