Modding NanoKontrol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Modding NanoKontrol

Hey

I'm trying to mod my NanoKontrol, so I can connect three joysticks to make them send MIDI to my computer. Can any of you guys tell me where to connect the cables from my joystick (15 pin game port) on the NanoKontrol board. I want to connect it to the knobs or faders (depending on what is easiest).

The knobs on the NanoKontrol
    IMG_0792.JPG

The faders on the NanoKontrol
    IMG_0793.JPG

Cheers
    Nikolaj
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connect the right color of wire to the right pin the right way around and you should be ok...

If you need help.....

Be more specific.

Start by showing us the front-and rear view of the button and tell us where the tracks on the PCB go to.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Tech Guru

From what I recall from the gamepad discussions, it's going to take two analog inputs for each joystick.

But you might want to find some smaller joysticks...like these - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9032

then you're going to solder them like this - http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=31295

But yeah, unless you get more specific you'll be pretty lost.

You need two faders per joystick. Figure out the +, - and variable connections in the fader and the joystick. Connect thenm together. Done.

Tech Student

Thank you guys!

We've tried soldering the joystick to two of the knobs on the NanoKontrol. The grey wire is +5V, the orange is ground, the red is the X-axis and the yellow is the Y-axis. It looks like this (crappy soldering, but it's just for testing):

But so far only the Y-axis of the joystick is working. And it's not very linear, but maybe that's is because the NanoKontrol potentiometer is linear and our joystick is exponential..?

Can any of you figure out what we are doing wrong?

Cheers,
    Nikolaj

Tech Guru

Ok, I think linear is key. I recall linear faders needing to be used in MIDI applications.

I also recall from other threads that you're not able to share power and ground on the Nanokontrol PCB. I know this violates PCB logic but I read it here - http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=31295

edit: third page -

One thing I did not is that there's no common ground. If you take a ground from one switch pair and connect it to another switch you get different CC's and a different LED light's up. The least wires per switch set is three (with the common ground between the two switches.)
    Last edited by ToOntown; 08-23-2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: didn't read correctly

So in dummy language:

Remove any connection between the pots in the joystick and remove the yelloe wires you soldered. Make all connections one-to-one, so you're goint to need to change your cable too.

Did you remove the pots on the board?

Tech Student

Cool, thank you!

How can I remove the connection between the pots in the joystick? Open it up and see if there's any connection between the X- and Y-axis pots?

And why do I need a new cable? What kind of cable?

Yes, I cut of the middle leg from the pots on the top of the board (I'll post a picture when I get home).

Sorry about all the dummy questions

Tech Student

Here's how we cut of the legs on the original potentiometer:

You need to cut all legs......

Open the joystick, find the pots. Have a 6 wire cable, solder 3 wires from one pot to the pads on the nano, do the same for the other pot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast