Confused with watts/ohms! (amp)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Confused with watts/ohms! (amp)

Hi, I am putting together a little system for my house and parties, but amps, ohms and wattss are giving me a headache.
    I have purchased 2 x 300 RMS, 8 ohm speakers:
    (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKYTEC-15-...item51a0a69ea5)

But have looked through many threads and everyone says different things about amps, is there anyone who can give me a definate answer for what amplifier wattage/ohms e.t.c I need? or recommend any amps?

Thanks.

Tech Guru

Tech Convert

Thanks for the link, I've read it, and I'm still confused! call me stupid or whatever, but is this correct: I am looking for an amp that offers 600W each channel at 8ohms. (1200w overall?)

Buy some other speakers... those speakers sucks... your just gonna blow the speakers... either buy aktive speakers (would be really easy for you for house parties) or else for an amp get the inuke and a rack for it

normally i would buy an amp wich would be with the samme spec as the speaker... so 2x600 watt 8 ohms PEAK... but because of the speakers you should buy 2x400-500 watt 8 ohms PEAK

Tech Convert

I've already got them, they were really cheap, just wanted a set of bigger/louder speakers, rather than my pc ones, they've got 2 years warranty.

I will be looking for an amplifier with 2x400-500 watt 8 ohms then, thanks for the help, any suggestions?

Please for the love of god, never listen to advice on amps from someone who can not spell "active" correctly and/or uses anything Behringer as the first recommendation.
    Go here.
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/forum...-Amps-Speakers
    Bill Fitzmaurice, and many other PROFESSIONAL sound guys roam that forum, and will give you the best info possible. Hope that helps.

Tech Guru

2 - 300 Watt RMS drivers that are rated at 8 ohms each, per speaker right? Wired in series, your load to each speaker would actually be rated at 4 Ohms not 8

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Please for the love of god, never listen to advice on amps from someone who can not spell "active" correctly and/or uses anything Behringer as the first recommendation.
    Go here.
    http://www.djforums.com/forums/forum...-Amps-Speakers
    Bill Fitzmaurice, and many other PROFESSIONAL sound guys roam that forum, and will give you the best info possible. Hope that helps.
    + over 9000

Tech Wizard

Ok here is the deal, if your speaker's specs are to be believed (never trust specs on entry level products) you do not need a large amp. Your speakers are rated at 98db/watt/meters, that means that you will get 98DB at 1 meter with 1 watt input. Watts are logarithmic so to increase your output 3db (the smallest amount that can be perceived) you need to double your wattage. So at 2 watts you will have 101db and at 4 watts 104db etc. This means that even a 5watt amp will push your speakers very loud for a small room but it would clip on the peaks when played at full volume. Without knowing the size of the room, any amp above 100wrms should be ok. I would stick with name brands such as QSC or Crown, especially if you are going to be using the amp for a long time. You will need to invest in a sub or two if you expect any bass at all, the cabs you bought will play nothing below 100hz with any authority. Even a small sub can make a big impact.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Please for the love of god, never listen to advice on amps from someone who uses anything Behringer as the first recommendation.
    I'd recommend the Behringer EP Series amps all day long, especially for someone starting out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast