Too many breakdowns in my DJ set - advice?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Too many breakdowns in my DJ set - advice?

In certain club sets which focus on Top 40 remixes & Electro House, I feel like there are too many 'breaks' or 'drops' (if you will) in the beginning of each song. With most tracks I get from pools, there is a very quiet 32 intro with barely anything, then a boring 32 or 64 beat 4/4 section, then a breakdown/drop where the vocal or melodic hook comes in without any drums beneath it at all until the build or chorus. So many tracks are like this that it begins to feel repetitive that I play one track until a climax then the set drops energy again as soon as I get to the next track. Ive tried to collect more tracks that don't have such breaks/drops but they are actually hard to come by. Ive also tried to cross over to the next track earlier during the 32 beat intro rather than right at the break, but those intros are usually so boring and basic that it sounds funny to play by itself. Does anyone understand what I mean and have some feedback on this?

Cue points and loops are your friend.

I'd recommend digging for more interesting music.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Either find or make better remixes of the songs.
    Or cue points will help.

Try mixing straight from the end of Track A's chorus into the first verse of Track B.

Completely takes out the intro and I think it's a vital skill to be able to transition at the end of any phrase.

look for remixes

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    I'd recommend digging for more interesting music.
    thats the nature of that style of music...

Tech Guru

Keith is bang on. Top 40 commercial dance is like that. Start messing around too much and you alienate your punters. They don't really care as long as they hear what is played on the radio. Mix it up with cue points and edits and they become confused.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

I run into this problem quite often because I mix exactly this.

My biggest tip is cue points. Also, look for edits with Acap out as well as in. Then, let the energy build up again and work into commercial house where there are less breakdowns.
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

They're not infants. You have to mix it up or you'll get bored.

There's a fine balance between the audience having a good time and you enjoying the night.

Start power mixing your music , it will lead you to understand how to eliminate breaks and drops.

Jaskotech.
    Denon DN-X1600.Traktor X1.Macbook.http://soundcloud.com/jaskotech

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast