1 15" Sub or 2 12" subs?

Default 1 15" Sub or 2 12" subs?

Hi all,

I am looking at getting 1/2 subs to compliment my Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers. I am a mobile DJ, and have had these speakers for about a year now. They put out a decent amount of bass for a small room, but I am starting to get some bookings for some bigger rooms with more people and think I will probably need a sub to get the volume that I will need. I don't need a massive amount of bass as I'm not really going to be playing any really bass heavy music, just normal party/wedding music.

So my question is, should I go with 1 15" sub (http://www.andertons.co.uk/subwoofer...in-in-grey.asp) OR 2 12" subs (http://www.andertons.co.uk/subwoofer...bass-bin.asp)?

My head is telling me to just get 1 15" (as it would work out a lot cheaper) but I think that having 2 subs will look a lot neater (1 underneath each powered top). If I decided to only get 1 15", where would be the best place to position it? In the middle of the 2 top speakers?

Or should I just get 1 15" for now and then save up for another one after?
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

I've always gone with one sub rather than putting 1 underneath each top. The theory is that you don't want the subs to cancel eachother out in the middle of the dancefloor when they are set apart from eachother. If you go with 2 subs, you'll want to place them together and have your tops on spearate stands on either side. (<top><sub><sub><top>).

This vid, somewhat explains what I'm talking about:

Tech Mentor

You're right... It will look a lot neater and you won't have to use stands. For this reason, I don't couple subs at weddings. The pair of 12's will likely be able to produce more bass than the single 15 anyway, so any real difference you lose from not coupling them will be minimal.

You might notice that you have a bit of a power alley between the subs, but that's hardly a problem if you're on the dancefloor.

If you can afford another 15 later on, by all means get one for now and add a second later. You can never have enough bass!

Thanks for the responses guys.

Think I'm just going to go with 1 15" for now, and then maybe get another one in the future. Where would you suggest I place the 1 sub then? In the middle of the 2 tops?
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

I like the middle. Makes things look symmetrical.