Helping out my son - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Again thank you everyone, I'll look into all of these options and report back on the route I go for him. Sooner or later I'll turn this account over to him so he can meet everyone until then I'm getting a great education from everyone.

check out the cube street by roland

the cube street costs around 300 bucks and is designed to be used out on the sidewalk great for house parties great for small gigs. i used one for a month in the park it was nice

Why not a decent set of bookshelfs from craigslist and a stereo reciever? I played on that set up for the better part of 20 years.

no reason to spend hundreds of dollars on something he might not stick with...
    Last edited by keithace; 08-25-2012 at 12:05 PM.

can you be my daddy please? Thats awesome. Right now if hes just starting I would just get him some small monitors to play with at home. Maybe like rokit 5s or something. Reason being is that schools should have some of their own equipment to use for their events. As for house parties, kids usually figure out whos dad has the cool speaker system to borrow for a night, or they use the home theatre system and bang it out lol. Also when he is playing a house party you can rent out some speakers as well.

I would hunt craiglist for some good deals on used equipment. I got my speakers for 200 bucks (Pair of rokits) and will look for bigger speakers soon too.

I've played small house parties with Rokit 8s no problem.

Honestly, if he's looking to gig, I recommend renting for the first couple of gigs to see if he likes it or not. That's what I did, went to Long and McQuades, and I picked up speakers, cables, and lights for $80. Its a much safer bet than investing hundreds
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Samson sells good 2x150W PA systems, good stereo sound. That should work fine for smaller gigs, really small ones of course, with a sub-woofer a little bit bigger ones. They also have a 2x250W system. Best of all, light-weight. Cost below $500, maybe even lower if you get a good deal online. I got my 2x150W system to my garage as a practice PA system for $330.

Tech Student

I would second the Mackie Thumps http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAPTH15A .
    These will sound good for small parties and even better in that GS music room even if it never leaves the house could always be great for home family affairs.
    Kudos for supporting your son on his DJ path. I started 25 years ago on some used speakers that I simply rebuilt with the small budget I was working w these will definitely get the job done.
    Last edited by dl2539; 08-26-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: wrong link

top man!! more parents should try to support their kids in what they do as much as they can, no tell them to turn the noise down. good lad!

Thank you everyone, we're going to go check out some monitors tomorrow. After talking with the wife, she thinks its the best way to go until we're sure this is what he truly wants to do.

As far as supporting him goes, I try to support both my kids in what they do. He's gone from playing drums to teaching himself how to play an electric guitar. He has enough drive to save for his first controller so it
    s only right we help where we can. My daughter at the age of 12 sings and has been accepted into quite a few performing art schools but we want to wait until she reaches high school to let her go. I want my kids to be kids as long as possible.

After the monitors, The next buy will be a new laptop.

Again thank you for everything you all have done to help out, I'll let you know what was decided on...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterMinds View Post
    Thank you everyone, we're going to go check out some monitors tomorrow. After talking with the wife, she thinks its the best way to go until we're sure this is what he truly wants to do.

As far as supporting him goes, I try to support both my kids in what they do. He's gone from playing drums to teaching himself how to play an electric guitar. He has enough drive to save for his first controller so it
    s only right we help where we can. My daughter at the age of 12 sings and has been accepted into quite a few performing art schools but we want to wait until she reaches high school to let her go. I want my kids to be kids as long as possible.

After the monitors, The next buy will be a new laptop.

Again thank you for everything you all have done to help out, I'll let you know what was decided on...
    +1 for amazing parenting. When I was 10 my parents enrolled me in 1 month of gymnastics just to make sure I would stick to it after I expressed interest. Now, 10 years later, I'm still competing. I wish your son all the best and hope he's as passionate about music as we all are here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast