S4 With External Soundcard

Default S4 With External Soundcard

I've just hooked up my Apogee Duet 2 using it instead of the S4 sound card. It sounds amazing.

There is also no delay between what I hear in the H-phones and what comes out the speakers, which there always was when using S4 which was not great.

Tech Guru

Thats supposed to be a pretty good external sound card, but I even notice a good difference in sound quality between the A4/A8 and the S4 even though the S4 was supposed to have the same sound quality as those

I would understand the Apogee case as Apogees have excellent DAC and ADCs. But the A4/A8 case? Most likely the same chips inside or slightly rev:ed versions. Anyway, for most common club systems, an Apogee is overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Thats supposed to be a pretty good external sound card, but I even notice a good difference in sound quality between the A4/A8 and the S4 even though the S4 was supposed to have the same sound quality as those
    Quite often they have to compromise when including within another box, so the fact that it's got it's own space they can improve it, even though it's the same basic sound card.

It's like box-ception.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    I would understand the Apogee case as Apogees have excellent DAC and ADCs. But the A4/A8 case? Most likely the same chips inside or slightly rev:ed versions. Anyway, for most common club systems, an Apogee is overkill.
    Yup. Dnt know about the audio 2 or any of the newer soundcard models, but the A4/8 sound a whole lot clearer then the S4. Get used to the sound of the S4, and do your own experiment and switch over to one of those soundcards.

I have had my S4 for almost a year now. Great device, very cost effective. However I have noticed some sound quality issues myself over the past few months. When I first started DJ'ing I was using an APC 40, Ableton Live, and an M-Audio Pro Fire 8 channel audio interface. Overkill yes I know, but I had it laying around, didn't have money for another soundcard and figured what the hell. The sound quality was AMAZING on my monitors (pair of 15in Yamaha club series monitors).

As time progressed I heard more and more about Traktor and sold some things and moved on to an S4. Love the device, always have and always will. Again a very cost effective unit. However I noticed a bit of a degraded audio signal when I hooked it up to the same pair of monitors. Like it sounded more 'muddier' if that makes sense. Not as clear. I have thought about somehow rigging the M-Audio ProFire up with it to see if that makes a difference but I feel that would be absolute overkill.

Another thing I have noticed at the clubs and venues around here. The people who use controllers particularly s2/s4's, their sound quality is almost always degraded when compared to the guys who spin on CDJ's. Is this simply that the more 'dedicated' hardware such as more recent DJM's and CDJ's have higher quality soundcards or audio interfaces? Does that make sense? I'm referring to Pioneer products.