Critique my setup - 1d, 2d, nuo 4, launchpad - for djing and production
    Tech Wizard

Default Critique my setup - 1d, 2d, nuo 4, launchpad - for djing and production

Hi. I'm building a setup for two use-cases:

1. DJing in Traktor, with drum machine and clip-launching support from Ableton live
    2. Production in Ableton

I'd like to use the same gear for the two use-cases. Basically I want to buy:

1. Ecler nuo 4 - for mixing and traktor effects control (I already have, bought for $250 used)
    2. Xone 2d and 1d ($250 used)
    3. Novation launchpad ($75 used)

I'm selling my mpd32, which is largely only useful for production work, to get #2 and #3

I want use the 2d and 1d for controlling track volume, sends, selecting, etc in ableton for the second use-case, in conjunction with the launchpad.

Is this a good idea? Is there another combination of gear that would suit my needs better? Should I just get an APC40 instead of the xone controllers and lanchpad?

Please see the setup map for live use below:

Last edited by drusha; 08-25-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Really, mate, whatever works for you is good. But everything that you've listed there is predominantly performance oriented.

For production, you'll want some nice faders, knobs, and KEYS. Whether your writing your own melodies, or sampling, you're still gonna need KEYS. I'd suggest getting (in addition to what you've listed) a decent midi keyboard with keys, faders, knobs, and even pads (why not, eh?)

Some people like the Akai MPK combined keyboards:
    mpk49_all.jpg

I (personally) really like my (old) Axiom49.

axiom49p2.jpg

New:

maudio-axiom49pro---1.jpg
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the advice. I have an m-audio keystation 49 for production work. My main question is, basically: are the knobs and faders on the xone d1/d2 a good enough substitute for the knobs and faders on an APC 40 when used with a launchpad?

They'll work fine.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj