Traktor Kontrol S2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor Kontrol S2

ghghg.jpg sss.jpg

Hey guys, my last thread I said i was switching my controllers. I've found one on from traktor called Kontrol S2 and i think its really good. But, i want your opinions on if i should get it. It also comes with Traktor pro 2 which also would be really good for me.

Thanks again(:

Get it. I've gotten the S2 and I have a ton of fun with it. Quality, well built gear and it's mapped perfectly to traktor so that's another winning point!

So many of these posts.

The S2 is okay if you are a beginner, and are going to upgrade out of it quickly, or if you're a traditional CDJ/vinyl guy, who wants something cheap with a sound card and you don't need to custom map anything.

This is because:

-The build quality is crap and the sound card is worse.
    -The native instruments HD protocol is a bad joke and prevents you from remapping it without using midi mode, except for a couple of hacks, most of which end up with badly delayed controls.

faderswagger: Don't know what you are talking about. I got one right next to me and the build quality is anything else but crap. You are also the first to mention a bad thing about the soundcard... And if you are too lazy to get a mapping running on it instead of the HD protocol...

I think the S2 is a great thing if you dont need the 4 Trackchannel control the S4 gives you.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by faderswagger View Post
    So many of these posts.
    -The build quality is crap and the sound card is worse.
    Which is why a large number of producers are using NI as their equipment of choice right?

Apparently that soundcard wasn't bad enough to power the main stage at EDC
    porter-robinson-EDC.jpg

Tech Guru

so many of these posts.

The s2 is okay if you are a beginner, and are going to upgrade out of it quickly, or if you're a traditional cdj/vinyl guy, who wants something cheap with a sound card and you don't need to custom map anything.

This is because:

-the build quality is crap and the sound card is worse.
    -the native instruments hd protocol is a bad joke and prevents you from remapping it without using midi mode, except for a couple of hacks, most of which end up with badly delayed controls.
    what utter horse shit. Its a well built controller with a quality soundcard and very good Traktor pro integration. As far as 2 channel all in 1 controllers, you can't get much better.

It is essentially an S4 with 2 less channels. And the product line seems to be good enough for techno guys like kaiserdsico

and acid stalwart A Guy Called Gerald

Last edited by oliosky; 06-20-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slainbybeats View Post
    faderswagger: Don't know what you are talking about. I got one right next to me and the build quality is anything else but crap. You are also the first to mention a bad thing about the soundcard... And if you are too lazy to get a mapping running on it instead of the HD protocol...

I think the S2 is a great thing if you dont need the 4 Trackchannel control the S4 gives you.
    I've got an S4 right here. It's felt like cheap plastic crap since I got it. Got two broken faders, have to chase down the caps all the time at gigs when they fall off, have to recalibrate the faders and jogwheels all the damn time. And the soundcard? NI made the damn thing, you'd think they'd have better latency than this shit.

Maybe if you don't pay close attention to this stuff, it's great...

Also I have an S4, and I'm anything but lazy, I've spend MANY hours making contradictory mappings to work around NI's horribly-made HD protocol, so that I'm not stuck with 7 bit midi messages in midi mode...

Quote Originally Posted by attila View Post
    Which is why a large number of producers are using NI as their equipment of choice right?

Apparently that soundcard wasn't bad enough to power the main stage at EDC
    porter-robinson-EDC.jpg
    Skrillex uses a M-audio triggerfinger and his laptop's internal soundcard.

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    what utter horse shit. Its a well built controller with a quality soundcard and very good Traktor pro integration. As far as 2 channel all in 1 controllers, you can't get much better.

It is essentially an S4 with 2 less channels. And the product line seems to be good enough for techno guys like kaiserdsic
    and acid stalwart A Guy Called Gerald
    I told you dude, it's fine for traditional DJs who just need standard controls... Until it breaks... Or you want low-latency.

Tech Guru

I have no latency issues at all. Both on my macbook and my ancient c2d 1.6 dell vostro. What exactly are the non-standard controls then?

What is your latency at right now?

First off, customization. Just non-traditional ways of doing things, jog effects and such.

Then more importantly, mapping tricks that let you do things impossible otherwise... relooping/beatrepeat/slipmode-esque tricks, instant touch effects, effects combinations, expanded effects controls and presets, tools for visual feedback, control layers... I could go on...

Tech Wizard

Skrillex uses a M-audio triggerfinger and his laptop's internal soundcard.
    First of all Skrillex has been using cdjs for like the last year, and secondly that's irrelevant because that picture's not even of him. It's clearly labeled Porter Robinson, and he clearly has an S4 in front of him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast