Bitrates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitrates

Default Bitrates

Obv 320 kbps is beautiful. .wav are even better.

In a club that could hold a few hundred people, say 400-600 what is safe to play out?
    Sony VAIO VGN-FE31M , Vestax VCI-100 SE , Microkorg

I have reached good results on 192 VBR.
    But still... the higher, the better!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have never had a problem with 320. If all the pieces of the chains are solid then you should be fine

:-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

In my oppinion you should never go under 320kbps on a big soundsystem, and for an even better mp3, use the Lame mp3 encoder ;]

understand the difference between CBR and VBR (constant bit rate / Varible bit rate)

CBR will result in better quality

Really if you just a mobile Dj.... anything above 128 vbr is fine.

For club systems i would recommend 320 but you could get away with 192. Really unless you are audibly inclined the avg folk wont know.

There are many flamewars about this all over the internet. This is just my 2 cents from my own experience
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

I agree on that one K!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Whats funny is i got shit for sayin that on another forum... lol thanks for backin me tekki
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Variable bit rate(VBR) increases the bit rate for parts of the song that require a higher bit rate resulting in unpredictable file sizes but higher quality.

Constant bit rate(CBR) a constant and will not fluctuate at all during the recording process, so regions that may requires a higher bit rate will undergo more quality loss than the VBR process.

If you record two mp3s, one at 192 CBR and one at 192 minimum VBR the VBR recording will be a better quality recording because the minimum quality of the file is 192 and shoots up in parts that require a higher bitrate. Its all about getting the settings right

That said if you have a crap VBR encoder the CBR will be a higher quality - i suggest using LAME.

Is there any other than LAME?

That's why I got your back K.

i use 320. sounds good to me and the people are always on the dancefloor so i guess it sounds good to them too!

DELL XPS M1710 : MOTU Ultralite : VCI-100
    dirty electro funky hip house:eek:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast