Mixing without headphone? In Ear Monitors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Mixing without headphone? In Ear Monitors?

hey guys, maybe this is a super noob question but how the hell do you mix without headphones? i was in the club this weekend and the guy was mixing on CDJs without them...
    Another questions, can someone explain how inear monitors work and how they different from using headphones?

Cheers

Probably in-ears yeah, they work just the same as headphones mate...
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

nope, didnt see him use in-ear monitors. is that even possible to mix with no headphones?

Ahh sorry misread - yes it's possible - but doubtful for a full set...
    SC | MC

It's not something that you should do.

Of course it's possible - there are tons of ways to do it. Some people DO warp their tracks in Ableton, then render 'em all to disc at the same tempo. Burn 'em to CD, and you're away. As long as your cue points are set, you're sorted.

Of course, this is dishonest. and you will go straight to hell for doing this.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

100% possible when you know how to read the waves, know your cue points and you know your music and your gear...check out this vid...."no headphones in harlem"

Yeah people who really know their songs can even mix on vinyl without headphones. It's not recommended except for turntablists (aka showoffs
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I can mix without headphones. Usually when I am using sync and playing with 3-4 decks.
    I have been looking into in ear monitors, can someone explain how u would use then in a set. Like when u don't wanna. Ur up a track do u just cue the master ?

I started DJ'ing this summer. Initially I bought headphones. I went with a $150 - something pair of sony "DJ" headphones. They sounded great but I felt like they made me look goofy ... Early on, my self-consciousness kept me from using both headphones to properly mix the next song in. I ended up grabbing a pair of badass "Westone" in-ear monitors. They sounded and worked great, but left me feeling "disconnected" from the acoustics of the club and the people wanting to request songs or give me props. Ultimately, I got over my self-consciousness with the Sony headphones and have been throwing down clean mixes and transitions with them ever since.

Moving forward .. I'll use the headphones in the club .. And the "in-ears" for performance venues.
    My debut EP is FINISHED!! Now back to being a DJ!!

http://soundcloud.com/iambreed <-- NEW EP! "Hello. My Name is Breed"

#RESPECT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast