copyright
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copyright

Default copyright

I recently uploaded a set of mine to youtube. After a few minutes of it being uploaded, it got blocked worldwide because of copyright. How do i fix this problem so that i can upload my set? If someone could help me i would greatly appreciate it

By uploading music that isn't yours to youtube (without permission), you're breaching copyright.

but how can other people upload music that isnt theirs? like people that upload lyrics for a song

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Youtube scans the upload to see if there's any songs that are flagged by certain record labels. If your upload is flagged then there's nothing you can do other than change out that song.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

what do u suggest i do to get my set uploaded on youtube

Quote Originally Posted by DJSheikh View Post
    what do u suggest i do to get my set uploaded on youtube
    youtube has strict copyright laws ... have you tried uploading to a music only service such as soundcloud or mixcloud? If you would like to upload video try vimeo.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    youtube has strict copyright laws ... have you tried uploading to a music only service such as soundcloud or mixcloud? If you would like to upload video try vimeo.
    This. Soundcloud is the way to go

Soundcloud does the same thing, so it really won't help - they probably use the same algorithm to determine if the songs are copyrighted. I've had several mixes rejected from soundcloud like this. Neither youtube nor soundcloud are sophisticated enough to understand the nuances of DJ mixes, whereby one can appropriate copyrighted material from other artists to create new works... at least that's the theory; mixcloud might be better (I've never had a mix rejected from mixcloud, and they at least purport to cater to the needs of DJs).

One thing you might try is slightly alter the first minute or so of the mix - speed it up or slow it down significantly, or play some crazy samples over the song in the beginning; this might trick their software a bit.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

By the way, youtube is particularly stupid about this. A few years ago I uploaded a clip from a school performance - certainly covered by fair use any way you look at it - that included about 8-10 seconds of a Leadbelly recording, and it got censored. That's 8-10 *seconds* of a song. That was recorded in the 1940s. By a guy who's been dead since 1949. Who served time twice for murder. The layers of irony here are Kafkaesque....

(Edit: just to be more accurate on the details, one of his prison terms was for attempted murder...)
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Blame the record companies and artists that forced this to happen. Frankly speaking I would not mind paying $.01 per each song my mix contains when uploading mixes so I could support starving producers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast