Internally routing Maschine Mikro through a live deck channel in Traktor on my S4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Internally routing Maschine Mikro through a live deck channel in Traktor on my S4

Hello

I'm new, and like most new people I arrive with what will turn out to either be a stupid and easily solvable question or one that is impossible to answer. TBH, this problem is pissing me off so much that I'm happy to look stupid if I get this gear running sweet.

Ok, so I'm running a Macbook (mountain lion) Traktor 2.5.1, S4 controller, F1 controller and I have just bought Maschine Mikro.

Naively, as they're all related, I assumed that you could just plug the Maschine Mikro in, select what channel you want it off and work away. This is not the case.

I have searched a lot for a solution. I have downloaded soundflower, jack osx, and installed it all. I still think I'm missing something.

I have however managed to sync the bpms via midi clock. That was simple though compared to the rest.

Excuse all the detail there. I just wanted whoever was kind enough to help to have as much info as poss.

Can anyone please tell me if I'm missing something here? Or if they know how to solve this?

Thanks very much

Ash

Tech Wizard

There's already been a few threads like this already but I haven't seen one yet dealing with Maschine. I think it should be pretty similar to using Ableton audio within Traktor. I'll just give you a basic overview of how I've done it in the past. I do it with JackRouter.

JackRouter Preferences:
    - Driver: coreaudio
    - Input: whichever sound card you use (yes, even "Built-In Audio" works)
    - Output: Same thing...
    - Sample rate: 441000 (this is tricky to mess with... you can try later if you want, but i'd recommend sticking with the default)
    - Buffer size: 512
    - NONE OF THE CHECK BOXES...
    - Interface input and output should be set to the number of inputs and outputs your sound card has.
    - Virtual input and output: you could get away with 2 each, but it supports up to ten. Personally, i use 4x4 because thats all I need
    - Again... NONE OF THE CHECK BOXES

Set Maschine to output the audio to Jack:
    - Set the audio output device to JackRouter.
    - I'm not sure how to do this as I don't have a Maschine, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Getting the audio into Traktor:
    - Once you're in Traktor, go into the settings and "Audio Setup".
    - Select JackRouter as the output device.
    - Go to decks layout and make sure that at least one of the decks is set up with "Live Input" as the flavor (rather than "Track or Remix Deck")
    - Go to "Input routing"
    - Select the inputs (which will be from Jack) that correspond to the output you chose in Maschine. Make sure that these inputs are on the deck(s) that you set up the live input for.
    - Go to "Output routing"
    - The "Output Master" is what you get your actual audio from so make sure to send that audio to a jackrouter port (or 2).
    - Just a note: You can select "JackRouter Out 1" as the out even though you may have used it in Massive too. It actually isn't the same port. JackRouter controls the audio by giving each program the # of ports you specified. (In my case 4 ins/ 4 outs). The ports are completely different for each program and you'll route them all separately anyways.

Configuring JackRouter Routing:
    - This is often the part of the setup that gets overlooked and is usually why the audio is never heard. Every input and output in jack must be routed to wherever it needs to go.
    - Click on "Routing" in the JackPilot window. You should see drop-down options that say "Maschine" and "Traktor"
    - In "Receive Ports" highlight the input for Traktor that you want to route an output from Maschine to.
    - Double click on the output from Maschine (in send ports) that corresponds with that input in Traktor.
    - For example: Highlight Traktor:In1 and double click on Maschine:Out1
    - Set the "playback_#" ports in "Receive Ports" to be connected with the outputs you're sending Traktor's audio to (Traktor:Out1&2 for me)
    I'm not sure how well that answers your question. Do you need any help with specifically any part of the setup?

Tech Convert

Hi mate

Thanks so much for your help. I'm almost there - I think - due to your guide there.

Now I can see, in traktor, that it's receiving a signal when I play Maschine.

My only problem now is that my traktor is using Jackrouter as the audio device and not my traktor S4.

Do you know how I get around this to get sound out of the system and still maintain the connection?

Thanks again for your help.

Ash

Tech Wizard

So you need to set the Outputs from Traktor (in JackRouter) to connect to the outputs in the soundcard on the S4.
    When you set up the preferences in JackRouter you need to select the S4's soundcard in the Input and Output drop down menus.

Then, you need to route the ports within JackRouter. The ports titled "playback_#" in "Receive Ports" need to be connected to the JackRouter output ports for Traktor (which are probably Traktor:Out1&2 for the master, and Traktor:Out3&4 for the cue depending on how you set it up within Traktor).

Tech Wizard

Additionally, depending on the sampling rate of the soundcard on the S4, you may need to change "Sample Rate" in the JackRouter preferences. I have it set to 44100, but if in Traktor you have it set to 48000, then you may need to change Jack's setting to 48000 too. Usually though, you'll get the best performance regardless of this setup with a 44100 sample rate in Traktor.

Tech Convert

Jared, you're a genius and a gentleman! I'm so happy with that.

My next question is - will this save the setting for me?

Tech Convert

Actually, just seen that I can save the settings!

Tech Wizard

Alright! I'm glad its all working out!
    Just remember to load the settings every time you restart Jack.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jaredweiss View Post
    Alright! I'm glad its all working out!
    Just remember to load the settings every time you restart Jack.
    I've tried this actually and everything works fine except when i play there some static in the background...assuming I have something connected incorrectly. Has this happened to you before?

Tech Mentor

Default Still having problems with running maschine through my s4.

I have set up maschine into my s4 with Jack Router but I cant control anything on my s4. Can some send me the setup they used in the Jack connection manager please or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast