BPM Readings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPM Readings

Tech Wizard

Default BPM Readings

ok, i was wondering if there is a good program that has the most accurate BPM reading. i tried using traktor scratch pro to analyze for BPM but they were waaaaaaay off. so i relied on Virtual DJ and BPMDatabase.com. I spin mostly hip hop. any help will be appreciated.

Tech Convert

There are other applications that can handle finding BPM, but Traktor's been working fine for me. Most of the time its calculation is correct or close to it, but when it's wrong a quick beatgrid adjustment gives the correct figure.

Mixed In Key will evaluate BPM, http://www.mixedinkey.com/
    There was also a recent article on the front page that suggested Rapid Evolution as a free alternative. I've not tried it, but you can find it at http://www.mixshare.com/wiki/doku.php?id=installation

between traktor, mixed in key and your own ears you should be fine. Remember sometimes in traktor the bpms get shown as being HALF the actual bpm, in that case go to the grid view and change it to x2 happens in mixed in key as well actually.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Change the ranges that the bpm detects in traktor to get a more accurate tempo detection, I personally think trakors bpm detection is fine - its good at getting the ballpark figure so all i need to do is some minor adjustments.

Also it doesnt matter what program your using you need to make adjustments- stick with Trakors inbuilt bpm detection and learn how to use it efficently.

Tech Wizard

i tried using traktors bpm but sometimes their really off. but thanks i will take those two programs into consideration.

If the BPM is detected incorrectly, just use the TAP function for a few seconds and you'll be in the ballpark (assuming you are like me and can never seem to get it right on with tapping). Then a quick fine tune and your set.

I used to have so many programs to do all these little things. For example, Mixed in Key to find the key, Platinum Notes to fix the sound, Jaikoz to fix the tags, MediaMonkey to rip my CDs, Traktor for playing the tunes. What I found was that I had to put so much time into getting everything ready, that I didn't feel like doing any actual DJ'ing afterwards.

Now, I pretty much just use Traktor and MediaMonkey. I will use Platinum Notes if the sound is really bad (i.e. a lot of clipping or distortion) or if I have a lot of tracks (so I can just do them all at the same time). I rarely use MiK anymore (I can mix in key with my ears just fine thanks), and Jaikoz now gets no love (I just make sure everything is tagged right from the get go).

I also used to have all these cue-points and markers all over my tracks so I knew exactly what was going to happen and when. Now, not so much, usually just the grid marker and the load marker with a couple of key cue points. I these marks were taking the fluidity out of my mixing (i.e. I would always do the same things since I knew exactly when to do them). Now it's better.

Quote Originally Posted by zarazuat View Post
    i tried using traktors bpm but sometimes their really off. but thanks i will take those two programs into consideration.

Honestly man, do like Bento said, reduce the BPM range in Traktor and stick with that one. Using other programs really only adds more hassle and mixed in key can be very very slow especially if you're analysing the key of the track aswell. A lot of the time for me Traktor has the correct BPM but the grid in the wrong place so it's a simple matter of changing that.

If all else fails, break out your stopwatch and count it yourself, it's not hard in the slightest. Start the track somewhere there is a consistent beat, count how many beats in 30 seconds (or 15 if you like) and then multiply by 2. You can then type that value into the BPM box in Traktor. Make any necessary adjustments with the grid buttons and it should be perfect. Beats opening another program and waiting for that to do it for you!

i have my bpms on traktor set to 80 to 180 bpms, so anything above or under I have to manually adjust. The tracks that are off on traktor I usually have to either x2 or /2 to get the correct bpm. Traktor is pretty good at detecting the correct bpm but most of the time you have to make those fine adjustments.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

@charo, nothing beats a free beats per min program (bad joke sorry)
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast