Event Speakers- How much is enough?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Event Speakers- How much is enough?

Hi guys,

I have a gig coming up in October. We're looking at 30-40 people in an outdoor environment. How much power is enough? Would a pair of self powered 15's do?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Tech Mentor

We need more info dude...

What model?
    Style of music?
    Is this background noise or are you the center of the party?
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    We need more info dude...

What model?
    Style of music?
    Is this background noise or are you the center of the party?

I was looking at renting a pair of QSC K12's. Looking to do EDM and Top40 since it's a teen party.
    This should be the center of the party.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Tech Mentor

K12s, or any full range cab for that matter, would not be adequate for that party if it was my decision to make. A pair of K12s and a K Sub (or in my case a pair of PRX512/612 with 618-XLF) would rock that party.

Keep in mind that I do sound production for a living and in this field "too much" is typically the right amount of gear for a job.
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Yes, outdoors.... You need wattage.

Quote Originally Posted by mart21har View Post
    I was looking at renting a pair of QSC K12's. Looking to do EDM and Top40 since it's a teen party.
    This should be the center of the party.

You definitely need to add a sub (at least one).

Tech Mentor

The only thing you have to worry about is how big the space is. 15's most likely would be fine unless you're playing to something the size of a stadium. In a back yard, depending on youe speaker placement, sound may bounce off of a house or other objects. As in any event, you don't want to blow thier faces off, its not a concert or a festival, you want louder than normal but not obscenely loud. Your main area will most likely be in front of the dance floor and thats what you have to worry about. I think you will have more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    The only thing you have to worry about is how big the space is. 15's most likely would be fine unless you're playing to something the size of a stadium. In a back yard, depending on youe speaker placement, sound may bounce off of a house or other objects. As in any event, you don't want to blow thier faces off, its not a concert or a festival, you want louder than normal but not obscenely loud. Your main area will most likely be in front of the dance floor and thats what you have to worry about. I think you will have more than enough.

agreed. You mentioned 40 people. You won't need much more, and the 15 instead of the 12 will be good enough for bass. Will this be a bangin setup? Not even close. It will be sufficient though.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    K12s, or any full range cab for that matter, would not be adequate for that party if it was my decision to make. A pair of K12s and a K Sub (or in my case a pair of PRX512/612 with 618-XLF) would rock that party.

Keep in mind that I do sound production for a living and in this field "too much" is typically the right amount of gear for a job.
    I almost bought a K sub off Ebay yesterday but wimped out at £680. How do you find it Rotebass? The reviews I read were mixed, ranging from fantastic to not enough grunt. Still interested in getting one but would value your opinion.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by D-Kem View Post
    I almost bought a K sub off Ebay yesterday but wimped out at £680. How do you find it Rotebass? The reviews I read were mixed, ranging from fantastic to not enough grunt. Still interested in getting one but would value your opinion.
    I've only heard the K Sub, I haven't had a chance to mess around with one myself, so you should take my review with a grain of salt. It is okay for smaller rooms, supposedly the KW181 stomps it for not much more money, I'm a JBL guy though so my preference goes to the PRX618-XLF.

Intended application is an important consideration as well, if you are looking for volume at the expense of extension and fidelity, the Yorkville LS801P is probably the loudest single 18 cab I've ever heard. It's kind of "boomy" imo, and it seems to roll off a little higher that other subs, but most top 40 and hip hop don't have anything going on down low anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast