AKAI APC 40 Traktor Mapping / Ideas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AKAI APC 40 Traktor TSI

Hey guys, before I dash off and purchase this bad boy next week what you recon on the remapping function on the LEDS?

This is some idea on how I think it could be used inside traktor pro, (internal mixing)

Ideas / Feedback please...

dean

See attached PDF
    Last edited by dean; 06-21-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    you cant beat a better bit of butter on your knife!

Ah well it would seem this is the best answer i will get from the tech support at akai...

Thank you for your interest in Akai Professional!

The APC40 was designed to be a controller for Ableton Live.

You can manually midi map the APC40 to work in other software programs, but it was not designed to do this and we will not be providing MIDI maps to make it full functional in other programs.

I have used the APC40 in Arkaos Grand VJ, for example, but the lights do not light up to indicate what VIDEO in the GRAND VJ video matrix is active.

Light feedback, and banking will not work in other software the way it does in Ableton LIVE. These are things are handled internally in Live, under the hood.

Attached is a list of all the midi note numbers and CC #s the APC40 is assigned to. These can not be changed.
    We do not provide a template editor.
    Last edited by dean; 06-23-2009 at 12:53 AM.
    you cant beat a better bit of butter on your knife!

Tech Mentor

couldnt bomes make the LCD's work properly? But yeah, I havent gotten the APC since the fancy leds may not work in traktor. The Stanton SCS3D/M on the other hand should be pretty awesome in terms of visual feedback.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

From what I've read the LEDs are really finicky with the APC. The bome forum has some threads on it, including how you need to set the messages.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dean View Post
    Hey guys, before I dash off and purchase this bad boy next week what you recon on the remapping function on the LEDS?

See attached PDF
    What sort of LED feedback are you looking to receive? Simple feedback from EQ and Transport appear to work as expected, however I am sure that you are looking for something more than simple. I would be happy to try a more complex mapping if you can give me an idea what you would like to have as feedback.

The APC40's LEDs can be controlled super-easy by Traktor. Its just a matter of outputting either value 1,2,3,4,5,6 to change the LEDs from green/blinking green/amber/blinking amber/red/blinking red (I don't know if that is the respective order at the moment).

I've almost finished setting mine up completely, but I'm using it in conjuction with a VCI-100. Pretty much, each deck is given two columns of the APC. On the button matrix, one column selects hotcues 1,2,3,4 and then toggles Play/Pause. The second column selects hotcues 5,6,7,8 and then toggles Loop Active. The first two columns are always lit green, the second two are always lit red, the third two always green, and the fourth two always red to help me distinguish which deck I'm messing with (and when staring at all the buttons at once, it could get pretty disorienting without some sort of distinction). I also set up the Play/Pause and Loop Active buttons to blink when I'm reaching the end of a song so that I can quickly be alerted to activate looping and select hotcue 8 (which I always have mapped out as a quality loop near the end of a song) in case I needed more time.

Haven't done much with the Clip Stop row for now. I always leave the Scene Select row on Master to keep the rotaries and buttons on the same channel, but I may need to alter that once TPro 1.2 comes out and I need more control over fx banks.

The small buttons are used to activate fx slots for each deck (I'm placeholding 4 for when TPro 1.2 comes out), which leaves you with two buttons left for something like key lock and sync.

One of the faders is used for panning (really nice to have access to) and I haven't assigned the other one yet, but I'm thinking of using it for the key knob on the GUI.

The Scene Launch column hasn't been taken advantage of much. I use the LEDs to show master output level and clipping making for a fun visual VU. The Cue Level and Master fader are used to change BPM and Tempo Mode respectively.

Knobs and buttons on right side of controller are basically used for fx control and some MOD commands.

Maybe that gives you some ideas for your mapping.
    Last edited by misa; 07-17-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Tech Mentor

nice work. can you share your TSI? Would like to have a starting point similar to yours.

Sure. Are you using a VCI-100 too? I'm running the APC through MIDI Patchbay. But basically all I needed to do was change everything the APC40 sent out on MIDI channel 1 to channel 10 so I wouldn't have conflicts with the VCI and then everything Traktor outputs on channel 10 back to channel 1 for the APC. Not sure of a simple Windows equivalent, but I'm sure there is something out there you could use.

If you're not using the VCI-100, then that point is mute. But it does mean my TSI will be a bit out of whack for you without converting channel 1 --> 10 --> 1
    Last edited by misa; 07-18-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Tech Mentor

I am not using the VCI anymore.

Okay. I'll try to have a basic APC40 mapping posted on its own thread on Sunday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast