Is EDM Killing Techno/House? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Next person to use the term "EDM" when having a conversation about music, will get a punch in the throat. Its a term that only the musically moronic use and has no place in a knowledgeable, informed discussion of electronic music, regardless of genre.
    EDM EDM ED-fooking-M

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck3n3D View Post
    By the way this isn't happening in Detroit, but across the river in Windsor, Canada. Detroit's scene is thriving, not like it was back in the hay day, but still alive and kicking.
    Windsor had a scene? Every time I've ever partied in Windsor, it's just bro's from Detroit trying to scam on what ever piece of ass they could find.
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.

Tech Guru

I can't speak for where you live but overall it hasn't killed anything. To me EDM is an overarching term for popular house music such as Guetta, LMFAO, Swedish House Mafia, Afrojack and all that kind of electro/dirty dutch 'pop' type sound. If anything it's united real house/techno lovers, partly in their hatred
    To me house music is stronger than ever if you know where to look.
    It's very much separate to the EDM 'scene' though. Unfortunately for you the promoter/club owner sounds like he's in it for the money rather than the music. They aren't all like that (not that bad anyway).
    As a positive it might end up bringing new people into the real scene eventually which will only make house stronger.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Next person to use the term "EDM" when having a conversation about music, will get a punch in the throat. Its a term that only the musically moronic use and has no place in a knowledgeable, informed discussion of electronic music, regardless of genre.
    Last edited by backtothefront; 09-05-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Sounds like you need to find a new venue for your underground night. If the town is big enough for Diplo then surely there's somewhere else to play the music you love.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

I think the big pop electro thing has been good for the scene here in Sydney. Lots of people are growing out of it and searching for underground stuff.

Tech Wizard

I feel like I agree with this post. I find it that House is the original genre to start it all, and that includes all of the modern styles of electronic music. However EDM I feel is made specifically to be played at a party or rave or dance setting. I'm the only DJ I know personally who still listens to actual house rather than just electro or glitch hop or progressive house. I'm not saying they're bad genres, but whatever happened to listening to house as just music. Like the good ol' days of Daft Punk and Justice?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    EDM EDM ED-fooking-M

Windsor had a scene? Every time I've ever partied in Windsor, it's just bro's from Detroit trying to scam on what ever piece of ass they could find.
    Yes Windsor had a scene, don't forget Richie Hawtin started off in Windsor and Detroit, he created a small scene before taking off to greater lands. Our scene has gone through it's ups and downs with different clubs and promoters, but it seems to have really stagnated in the past two years. I've noticed a switch towards more Pop/Electrouse which has overshadowed Techno and House. I'm curious to see if similar has happened elsewhere.

Find a new club, throw an event, turn it into a weekly night. Takes a lot of work, but you said you've thrown a successful event before so you should know how it is for the most part.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

The mainstream dance music is ruining techno and house for sure. pretty soon Berghain will be playing dubstep (jokes jokes)
    But it is being ruined
    Last edited by MYE; 09-06-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    I think the big pop electro thing has been good for the scene here in Sydney. Lots of people are growing out of it and searching for underground stuff.
    This is the outlook I've taken as well. If I'm playing at a more mainstream bar, I mix in some Tech House flavor for transitional-type mixes. People are much more receptive than they've been in the past. It's pretty fun.

"Scenes" don't last forever. You think people are still bitching about how their favorite Disco club got bumped by some Punk Rock scene?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast