DJTT Tips/Advice - Wedding Music - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fressure View Post
    Man why am I having so much trouble thinking of Top 40 music to mix in
    You're over thinking. Just grab the current Top 40 list, and find anything with a solid beat, and start there.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

Is it in bad taste to play songs that say damn or ass? Like I don't know why Get Low is so popular lol

Tech Mentor

Shhhhiiiit friend just asked me if I could do dinner music now also, whelp

Tech Mentor

Wonder if a Levels/Somebody That I used to Know mash up would be way too much. hmm

Tech Mentor

Question - When I'm going from the First Dance to Father/Daughter what am I supposed to play for that gap

Tech Guru

4 bits of advice from me:

- pace yourself, its a fucking long time playing music you aren't super into
    - have plenty of tunes people know, and plenty more for backup, and more for backup again
    - don't bother mixing every tune
    - play Outkast - Hey Ya

Tech Guru

Actually, one more tip. Make sure your equipment, including mic's etc, is super reliable and are all tested at the venue. The music stopping or your mic not working during speeches at someones wedding is a cock up of monumental proportions.

My situation, we are just starting off, first gig tomorrow actually, and thinking ahead towards the future and hoping more gigs will come, but we aren't yet pushing the fact we are "for rent", mixing is still a hobby for us. So thinking ahead, I've also been wondering if weddings are even something I'd want to do, if someone asked us. I realize it is an opportunity to be paid fairly well, but I am not sure I could break the bit of style we've built up over the past year and a half to do a wedding. Let me ask this another way. Do you really have to break from your personal style of music/ mixing to do a wedding successfully, if your style doesn't even come close to things like classic rock, rock, raggea, top 40, etc.? I mean, couldn't you say "I'd be glad to do your wedding, if my music and my style is what you want?" It might lower chances for a wedding gig. Yes, I understand that. I don't see that as a bad thing really though, because I know I can be sure to be "right" with my own style. Thoughts?

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Guru

In response to your question Scamo you are providing a service, not a showcase of your skills and coolest tracks. It's certain you will end up playing tracks you aren't into to satisfy the majority. There's still pleasure to be gained by providing a great night for everybody even if you're not into every track personally.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by scamo View Post
    Do you really have to break from your personal style of music/ mixing to do a wedding successfully, if your style doesn't even come close to things like classic rock, rock, raggea, top 40, etc.? I mean, couldn't you say "I'd be glad to do your wedding, if my music and my style is what you want?"
    It is important to know your limitations. I certainly pass on weddings when the couple wants "world music" or "zydeco"...mostly because I do not understand those genres enough to do a good job. That said...I have gone as far as building a collection of Contemporary Christian music to satisfy a client. Are you willing to drop $$$ on 200 songs for an event? Do you charge enough to even make than an option?

Wedding DJs provide a service. This is not art. This is not about you. This is not an education session on the nuances of some sub-sub-sub genre of EDM. This is not a DJ battle where you need to throw out every mixing trick you know. I mix only during the dance portion of the evening....and even then, I do it sparingly.

Wedding receptions are multi generation events. What are the odds that Grandma is going to like Dubstep? What are you going to do to ensure that Grandma hears something that she likes? What if there are kids at the wedding?

Time Life Music, Rhino, and others have good box sets that cover the "wedding friendly" genres: 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, classic rock, love songs, trash disco, and even country. My local warehouse club has a reasonable selection on any given day....each box set is 60-ish songs for $20. All "familiar favorites" that will go over well during dinner or other non-dancing times. If you stick to a single label for the box sets, duplicated songs will be rare. For $100 you can pick up 300 songs that will provide you with a solid back catalog for any future weddings you do.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast