How to use ITCH (VCI-380) with a Launchpad and Ableton?
    Tech Mentor

Default How to use ITCH (VCI-380) with a Launchpad and Ableton?

I know theres no MIDI mapping with ITCH and I know the Bridge isnt available with ITCH but Im curious how I would be able to run the programs at the same time. Would I have to have two laptops? Would I have to just have another soundcard and just make sure Abletons time clock matches with whatever tempo Im at with ITCH?

Im hoping some of the tech guys/girls could help shed some light on this.

thanks

Hello, I actually do something somewhat similar, so I'll explain my current situation and hopefully it'll help. I currently use a novation twitch with Itch, plus a MF Pro CueMaster mapped to Ableton's drumrack(for one shots, scratch sounds, drops, etc). I run both of the programs at the same time, and I use my Audio 2 soundcard to route the audio from ableton into the auxiliary input on my twitch using rca cables. I can then control the volume of the aux input through the twitch/itch, assign it to either side of the x-fader, AND it records into my mixes in itch when I record a set.

So to answer your first question, you wouldn't need another laptop, just a soundcard you can use to output ableton's audio.

As far as synching the clips: I only use one shots and occasionally short clips, so synching is not necessary for me. however, I believe if you follow your original plan of matching the time clock with the tempo, you should be fine.

Serato just needs to hurry up and make the bridge for itch. That'll make our lives soooo much easier lol
    DJ Setup: Serato DJ/(2) Vestax V7/Ecler Nuo 2.0// Production Setup: Logic Pro 9/M-Audio i-Control/M-Audio Keystation Mini 32/NI Audio 2 DJ/13" 2.3GHz MBP 500GB HD OSX Lion/AIAIAI TMA-1/Roland TR-707//

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJMeloD View Post
    Hello, I actually do something somewhat similar, so I'll explain my current situation and hopefully it'll help. I currently use a novation twitch with Itch, plus a MF Pro CueMaster mapped to Ableton's drumrack(for one shots, scratch sounds, drops, etc). I run both of the programs at the same time, and I use my Audio 2 soundcard to route the audio from ableton into the auxiliary input on my twitch using rca cables. I can then control the volume of the aux input through the twitch/itch, assign it to either side of the x-fader, AND it records into my mixes in itch when I record a set.
    So to answer your first question, you wouldn't need another laptop, just a soundcard you can use to output ableton's audio.

As far as synching the clips: I only use one shots and occasionally short clips, so synching is not necessary for me. however, I believe if you follow your original plan of matching the time clock with the tempo, you should be fine.

Serato just needs to hurry up and make the bridge for itch. That'll make our lives soooo much easier lol
    Hey thanks so much for the reply. That sounds like a (almost) perfect setup (the bridge would be better haha). Is Twitch a standalone mixer? Im using the VCI-380 and it is a standalone mixer so I could definitely work with that. So than am I just plugging my Launchpad into the Audio 2 which plugs in to the VCI, which than plugs USB to the computer, or am I still pluggin my Launchpad into my computer? thanks a bunch for the help. Im an open format DJ and this is really going to help me be "different"!

oh, and how do you assign you X-fader as a volume control in ITCH? thanks
    Last edited by bmar222; 09-06-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: once more question

An issue you will face is that the VCI-380 only has two input channels (switchable between external/software sources).

This is one area where the Twitch has the VCI-380 beat, along with portability and a more responsive touch strip with LED feedback.

There is a third channel for mic input. To use this for line level input you need to get a line->mic level converter/attenuator. I am currently looking into doing this as I really miss having a third channel for samples etc. Unfortunately the mic input isn't effected by Itch's FX but it does go into the internal mix for recording.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by scooterADAM View Post
    An issue you will face is that the VCI-380 only has two input channels (switchable between external/software sources).

This is one area where the Twitch has the VCI-380 beat, along with portability and a more responsive touch strip with LED feedback.

There is a third channel for mic input. To use this for line level input you need to get a line->mic level converter/attenuator. I am currently looking into doing this as I really miss having a third channel for samples etc. Unfortunately the mic input isn't effected by Itch's FX but it does go into the internal mix for recording.
    Can I not use the two input channels? if not, will I technically be hooking my audio 2 into the mic-line converter, which is hooked into the mic input?

thanks for the help. Im new to the whole makeshifting my own setup thing

Couldn't you do this by using Soundflower(Mac) or Jack(PC)??
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    Can I not use the two input channels? if not, will I technically be hooking my audio 2 into the mic-line converter, which is hooked into the mic input?

thanks for the help. Im new to the whole makeshifting my own setup thing
    If you want to have a third channel playing on top of the other two, with control of the volume on the VCI-380 hardware itself, the only option I know of is the mic in. The Twitch has a third channel switch able between mic and line.

Sure you can route most things most places with Soundflower/Jack but can you control it on the VCI and have it going into the Itch internal mix ?