Xone: DB4 vs DJM 900 for House / Trance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Xone: DB4 vs DJM 900 for House / Trance

Hey guys,

Currently having a difficult time deciding between these two mixers, here's what I'm tossing up:

DJM 900

- Clean layout
    - Cheaper
    - Plays nice with CDJ2000s
    - Good feel / quality
    - Noise gen. + X-pad
    - Easy to use FX
    - Common to find in clubs
    - Traktor scratch (not a big deal personally)
    - FX send / return

DB4

- Complex, but crazy FX
    - Matrix inputs
    - Software updates
    - Hit / Miss quality (many people reporting problems on the forums, otherwise it's good)
    - VU meter 'bleed' (the leds light each other)
    - Supposedly better SQ (not sure about this, have a DJM250 already, it has the same DSP, sounds great to me)
    - Xone filters (how close are they to the 92 filters in Traktor?)

I know that most people would pick the DB4 for its FX, but almost all the media out for it features either techno or minimal, so I'm not sure how useful they would be for progressive / electro and trance. The 900 is fairly standard for house / trance in that regard.

Thanks!

I would wait till after the new fw release from A&H before making that decision.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

I've mixed all kinds of genres on my DB4 and I wouldn't say it's only suited to minimal. The FX are very different to the pioneer, DJM FX have always been very brash and obvious in the mix whereas the Xone FX are much more subtle and in my opinion significantly higher quality. Check out the Mark EG videos on YouTube for a good summary. The filters are fabulous and filter EQ mode is really useful too.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

fullenglishpint, have you had any quality issues with your DB4?

Apparently they're currently making them in China now vs the UK, not sure how that affects quality...

Has mix architekt said anything about what's in the new update?

I haven't had any problems with mine, which is a UK one. I know there were a few teething problems to start with but once those units were replaced I haven't heard of any more. There's been no mention of what will be in the update, just that there will be one.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Since you're talking about FX Send/Return, how about a Xone:92? It has all the good things of the DB4 and even a 4-band EQ. Just hook up a Audio 10 for 4 Traktor Decks 1 and FX Send/Return channel. Then you can use all your imagination on Ableton's FX .
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by JDFS View Post
    Since you're talking about FX Send/Return, how about a Xone:92? It has all the good things of the DB4 and even a 4-band EQ.
    Well, it has no filter mixing or FX, but yeah it's a great mixer.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

Well, I've done some research, watched MANY videos, annnnnnd my pick is:

The DB4

As much as I like the layout of the 900, I figure the FX are probably equal to what's in Traktor, so it won't make much of a difference. The only feature that I wish the DB4 had was a dedicated noise generator. The final decider was the prospect of an update at BPM.

(mix architekt, if you're reading this, PLEASE ask A&H to add a bona-fide noise effect!)

As for the 92, despite it's legend status, I really need to have an integrated soundcard. Also, the 92 + A10 combo costs the same here in Australia as a DB4...

Everytime I look at the DB4 I drool. I just wish it had send/return

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Lilac View Post
    Everytime I look at the DB4 I drool. I just wish it had send/return
    Supposedly this and Post fader FX (like the DB2) might be in the new update... can't wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast