If I Play Music....
    Tech Wizard

Default If I Play Music....

Ok so I play to mostly military and UK scene, I'm american I have a vast rage of music and just conjured this thought up.
    If I Play Music that I think people are listening to such as top 40 and such... and dont add any of my own flavor or finding something that will set me apart and make my sets different to gain popularity, how is this making me a better dj in the long run?..Ive been djing for a while and anyone I play for tell me i rock lol...not mening to brag i have been playing for like 5 years with vdj and traktor pro and FL studio more on the producing side. Being im only 23 on the 15th .. I still have years of knowledge I need yet I know. But yet where should I go from here?...What are the most versatile setups that the big names are using?...are they using samples and piecing songs together? I just was bored messing with an old version of traktor this morning and I had a couple questions sorry for the long post and grammer im tired :P

If you feel like you're not challenging yourself with how you're playing then start learning to mix it up. If you're just mixing from A>B start using hotcues and loops to mix it up a bit, learn to use effects and samples to put yourself above the herd. Use it all sparingly though. People want to hear the original song as much as they want to hear you remix it. It's a fine balance.

Never quit working at it, there's always something new to learn. If you have questions about traktor, this forum is one of the best places to ask them. There's tons of cool people here willing to help.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Wizard

I dont think my question about how other people are doing it with there setups was answered.

I don't think you made it easy to read, but that's a moot point.

Everyone uses different setups! Porter Robinson is known for using Controllers but most big names use CDJ2000 (Nexus now I assume) and a DJM 800/900

Tech Wizard

are they the most versatile? does my s4 and midi fighter stand up? Or do people laugh when they see me?

Tech Wizard

I take it you're at RAF Lakenheath/Mildenhall? Where you gigging at next and when, i would be interested to come check out your set.
    American by birth, world citizen by choice!

Quote Originally Posted by skegsurfer View Post
    are they the most versatile? does my s4 and midi fighter stand up? Or do people laugh when they see me?
    Who the hell cares? Can you gig as best you can with what you have? If yes, then stick with it.

If no then improve but still stick with it.

There's no reason you can't do what even else does with just an S4 let alone a midi fighter.