Subwoofer advice - KEF C4 or KRK 10?
    sebastiannz

Default Subwoofer advice - KEF C4 or KRK 10?

Hi guys, just looking for some recommendations on a new subwoofer. I've recently moved countries and am 'rebuying' my setup. In NZ I had two Alesis M1 Active 5" and a KEF 8" sub. It was a really nice setup and sounded very good. The only thing slightly lacking were mids. The bass was very good and the highs were crisp.

I've now moved to the UK and have bought KRK Rokit 5" to replace the Alesis'. So far they are pretty nice -much more bassey and also a bit more relaxed on acoustic positioning (it seems). The mids seem a bit stronger too which is good.

I'm looking for a sub because dance music with no low end is like eating a pizza with no cheese! YOu gotta have it. The KEF I used to have was really awesome but I'm tempted to go KRK route this time. Thing is I don't want it to be too loud and I think the 10" might be a fair bit louder and harder to control to speak. E.g. at low volumes it still goes through the house. The KEF was good because being only 8" it wasn't too loud but really added a nice low end and was tight as f*ck!

Does anyone here have experience with both subwoofers?

I've not heard the KEF but I have heard other speakers of theirs and they were exceptional. I have the KRK 10" subwoofer and can confirm that it is LOUD. You can definitely turn it down but it's not easy to find a sweet spot if you're worried about the bass carrying through the floor. I like it but I keep it turned WAY down and it's really more than I need tbh. The advantage is it would match your speakers if you have Rokits. But you might be happier with the KEFs if you want a sub that you have much more control over.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

sebastiannz

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I've not heard the KEF but I have heard other speakers of theirs and they were exceptional. I have the KRK 10" subwoofer and can confirm that it is LOUD. You can definitely turn it down but it's not easy to find a sweet spot if you're worried about the bass carrying through the floor. I like it but I keep it turned WAY down and it's really more than I need tbh. The advantage is it would match your speakers if you have Rokits. But you might be happier with the KEFs if you want a sub that you have much more control over.
    That's helpful info thanks mate. Finding the sweet spot is definitely my main concern, no point spending 300 quid on a sub if I need to have the volume right down.