Get that Macbook Pro? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I don't get problems with my Windows machines.

You have to take the time to learn how to optimise them. There are a MILLION guides on-line.

Start by making a new partition/OS installation for audio work (DJ'ing, production, etc...) and then strip out everything that is not absolutely necessary for audio.

What you end up with is 2 computers on the same machine - 1 for your day-to-day "computering" (shopping, e-mails, surfing, etc... Think of this as your daily runner, in car terms, a people carrier), and 1 for your audio stuff (this is your weekend car - you can't go shopping in it, or pick up the kids, but it goes like shit off a shovel).

Take your new Audio Partition, uninstall unnecessary software, stop services, disable automatic updates/firewall, disable networking, turn off graphical enhancements/animations, stop system sounds.... The list goes on. It all enhances your system, and makes it a more reliable machine.
    Yes, you're spot on with this. I have done it. It takes time and a level of savvy (and patience in some cases) that people don't always have. It didn't work reliably forever in my case, though, and I constantly worried about crashing. It wasn't any fun.

I know it's case-by-case, but I've never once heard a horror story when a Mac is in play.

Look for a refurbished mid-2010 13" MBP. Make upgrades to RAM and SSD as you're able. It would be plenty of muscle for today's DJ apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fischkopp View Post
    Do you use the sample decks and Traktor with Live at the same time?
    Yep....I use both at the same time with zero latency issues and audio dropouts
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Fischkopp View Post
    Well ok, so even the Windows users agree, that I have to spend work on configurating and maintaining a Windows laptop instead of buying a MBP without having these things to do.
    I don't agree. About all I do to my laptops is shut down a handful of unnecessary tasks that start with windows, update the drivers, and personalize the computer the way I like it to look. But then again you'll likely do this with a Mac as well unless you really are clueless.

I don't dual boot, and I multi-task like a mother during wedding receptions.

Some models seem to inherently have issues, though. If you go with a Windows machine, stick to a good business-class model. Those are typically built and serviced on a much higher level than the general consumer machines.
    Last edited by sss18734; 09-12-2012 at 04:23 PM.

I'm considering a MBP because it's definitly more likely that a Windows laptop becomes unstable. If anyone could give me a few scripts or anythnig else which would "guarantee" that a Windows laptop stays stable, I would happily accept it. But as long as it's a game of luck, I'll still consider a MBP.

Btw: I also had a T61 and it screw up after a year. Maybe I did sth wrong, but that's the point in bying an overexpensive MBP. You don't have to make up your mind about things like that. I hope...

Tech Wizard

It seems more that you already made up your mind a while back, and you need acknowledgement. Most people on production/DJ forums will recommend you a MBP anyway.

I'm a Windows user, and I'm pretty happy with that. If I could afford a MBP I would probably get one. But if I could afford CDJ's 2000, I would probably get those too... You just have to make that decision for youself. Good luck on your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch
    I don't get problems with my Windows machines.

You have to take the time to learn how to optimise them. There are a MILLION guides on-line.

Start by making a new partition/OS installation for audio work (DJ'ing, production, etc...) and then strip out everything that is not absolutely necessary for audio.

What you end up with is 2 computers on the same machine - 1 for your day-to-day "computering" (shopping, e-mails, surfing, etc... Think of this as your daily runner, in car terms, a people carrier), and 1 for your audio stuff (this is your weekend car - you can't go shopping in it, or pick up the kids, but it goes like shit off a shovel).

Take your new Audio Partition, uninstall unnecessary software, stop services, disable automatic updates/firewall, disable networking, turn off graphical enhancements/animations, stop system sounds.... The list goes on. It all enhances your system, and makes it a more reliable machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by deevee
    And that my friend is the reason to buy a Mac in a nutshell ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    ...choose between getting a MBP and paying the rent this month.
    That's the reason not to.

I'd love a Mac. I just don't like the way people think they HAVE to have a Mac to be taken seriously. If you can afford it, you should get one. If you can't afford it, Windows will do the job perfectly well.
    Last edited by Patch; 09-14-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

After having lots of problems on my AMD Quad Core notebook since the upgrade to Traktor 2.5 I've bought the Macbook Air 13" 2011 model with a 256GB SSD. Ever since no problems using the remix decks and effects on all channels. Running OS X 10.8.1, Pioneer DDJ-T1, Traktor F1 and live input.

Windows user here. HP Envy 14 Beats edition. Works fine with ableton, traktor, and maschine. works fine with wifi on. Running Windows seven, never once had the thing crash on me.

This is all out of the box to, I haven't done anything to it.
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

The problem buying a windows machine is that windows comes pre installed by the manufacturer. This can be a good or bad thing, but is usually bad. To get the price down they load crap software you don't need before you buy it. I have a mac, and Boot Camp Windows 7 for my CS courses. The windows 7 install is the best I've ever felt on any laptop. When I clean installed on my Asus ($450 AMD A6-3400) it felt exactly the same (Minus noticing the resolution difference a little.)

The biggest differences for me are Core Audio and that I can plug and unplug my midi devices without having to restart Ableton.

Tech Guru

I have used windows and mac's for DJing only ever had a problem once and that was with the mac, Traktor just randomly quite. Been using a mac for a year and a half and pc for around 3.

I personally don't notice any difference really and both OS's have there advantages.

part of the problem here is alot of ppl are comparing a £1000 macbook to a £300 laptop. if you compare like for like from good manufactures reliability is about the same.

Big virus problem with PC's OSX doesn't have a big enough market share however locally is very unsecured.

doesnt matter if your on mac or pc do not use WIFI when DJing it is dumb, its a remote risk but a risk none the less. just don't do it to yourself

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast