Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

HP Envy 14 beats i7. Wiped and clean installed Win7 to remove bloatware. Further tweaked services and process settings, it runs like a demon and has never let me down, even in gigs when I forgot the emergency cd's
    Get it in the States for about 650
    vci400se | envy beats i7 | traktor pro 2.5.1

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

One other thing a Mac has going for it.

IF your laptop does happen to die, you can boot your hard drive via USB on ANY other mac (built within the past 6 yrs) you get your hands on and it'll work without any driver installs, conflicts, windows repairs etc etc ....

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    One other thing a Mac has going for it.

IF your laptop does happen to die, you can boot your hard drive via USB on ANY other mac (built within the past 6 yrs) you get your hands on and it'll work without any driver installs, conflicts, windows repairs etc etc ....
    You can boot the drive of any PC via ethernet, it's a feature from way back when called "Boot from Network". OS X just enabled it across USB in the EFI framework.

Quote Originally Posted by poizone View Post
    You can boot the drive of any PC via ethernet, it's a feature from way back when called "Boot from Network". OS X just enabled it across USB in the EFI framework.
    Yes you can, and while it may "work", 70% of the time you will not have full functionality, hardware dependent software will not respond, drivers will not work and you will get the occasional BSOD unless the machine you are booting into is exactly the same as your own (something that in the PC world is doubtful even with the same manufacturer never mind between them all).

The point is that when you boot off a USB drive on a mac, everything will work as though its your own machine with no extra steps needed.

If,for example you own an Asus laptop and try a network boot or dropping the hard drive into a Dell, most likely it will BSOD or require a ton of drivers before you get full functionality, thats assumming of course windows activation allows you to boot at all due to the hardware change limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Yes you can, and while it may "work", 70% of the time you will not have full functionality, hardware dependent software will not respond, drivers will not work and you will get the occasional BSOD unless the machine you are booting into is exactly the same as your own (something that in the PC world is doubtful even with the same manufacturer never mind between them all).

The point is that when you boot off a USB drive on a mac, everything will work as though its your own machine with no extra steps needed.

If,for example you own an Asus laptop and try a network boot or dropping the hard drive into a Dell, most likely it will BSOD or require a ton of drivers before you get full functionality, thats assumming of course windows activation allows you to boot at all due to the hardware change limitations.
    I've never had an incompatibility, with the exception of trying to boot my old 95 machine to retrieve some files. Windows comes with driver compatibility for most hardware shipped to that update point. I've done my Asus to my custom built desktop, my milk crate server to my desktop, my milk crate to my Asus, and my Asus to my Macbook. The key is to have a full clean install of windows, and not use OEM supplied drivers, as they can be unstable. That's why I suggested a clean install of windows as a first step.

Hardware compatibility is Windows' strong point, and as EFI loaders gain traction, you'll see "Target Disk Mode" enabled under various names from many manufacturers. I know my desktop has it already, and it's enabled because of EFI instead of BIOS.

EDIT: You seem to be confusing Boot from USB with Target Disk Mode also. Any laptop has the ability to boot from a USB drive. Any computer made in the last 6 years can do that.

You also don't seem to understand that Windows Activation doesn't care for 30 days. I have a legit upgrade copy of Win 7 from when I had been running XP, and ignored activation for almost four months, and all it did was remove my wallpaper and block my updates. Then I got free copies of 7 Pro from my school.
    Last edited by poizone; 09-21-2012 at 01:14 AM.

EDIT: You seem to be confusing Boot from USB with Target Disk Mode also. Any laptop has the ability to boot from a USB drive. Any computer made in the last 6 years can do that.
    Target Disk Mode is the closest to a Mac equivalent of Boot from xyz drive on windows, and technically it is booting from USB.

I do mean Target Disk via USB OR simply installing your hard disk into any other Mac Computer. This is Something that I've almost never found that works 100% between the majority of Windows machines without any additional steps - something would always be missing be that a LAN driver, Video Driver, Wifi Driver etc etc ...

Something would almost always need to be installed and just dropping a computer from one machine into another without additional steps would frequently result in BSOD's or Unstability.

Tech Wizard

You could consider dual booting your PC with linux if you go PC route. Then, if Windows dies you still have a working OS from which to wipe and reinstall windows from the backup you already made.
    vci400se | envy beats i7 | traktor pro 2.5.1

I'm not a huge fan of Apple despite owning quite a few of their products. But the MPB is really good, I don't have any problems with it and can count the number of dropouts I've had over the last 2.5 years on one hand.
    www.soundcloud.com/sebastiannz

Deep house, tech house, nu-disco, progressive.

What do you like more? Lego or Matchbox?

A lego car is either a pain in the ass because it requires assembly and does not look very sleek and shiny, or it's a good toy because you can make a boat and a spaceship out of it too.

Same comparison. Windows has more flexibility/scriptability/hackability. A mac does what it does well, but never will do more.

When it comes to build quality, nothing surpasses a good IBM thinkpad
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiannz View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Apple despite owning quite a few of their products. But the MPB is really good, I don't have any problems with it and can count the number of dropouts I've had over the last 2.5 years on one hand.
    +1 I've owned several Apple devices but they never convinced me to become a fanboy. As an IT Pro I've been troubleshooting any devices you can think of (from industrial controllers to main frames) in the past 20 years. But after having so much annoying little once in a while troubles with Windows I bought a 2011 MBA 13". Still not a fanboy, everything you have to do to make the OS do what I want, needs to be done in a Linux terminal box. But 8 seconds after pressing the power button I'm ready to go.

@boarderbas: Spot on. It's that flexibility/complexness of Windows which makes it incapable for some tasks. The new Windows 2012 Server can be installed as a command prompt only system (Power Shell), just like Linux. No needs for the fancy stuff that causes many crashes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast