Berlin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berlin

Default Berlin

Hey guys,
    Next week I will flying from San Diego CA to Berlin Germany. I will be staying out there for about a month and a half. I was just wondering if anyone from the area or anyone who has been there has any recommendations for getting into the music scene and meeting local djs. I don't know much about the city, so any advice about the nightlife or music scene out there would be great. I would just like to get an idea of the "must go to" places out there as far as music and DJing is concerned.

Thanks!

Berghain if you can get in
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Google is an amazing tool, you should check it out sometime if you haven't heard of it yet

http://www.bangbangberlin.com/en/ind...n-Clubs--Bars/

Tech Convert

For clubs/parties, check here.

Visit some record stores. Notable ones include Hardwax, Space Hall, Rotation, and Core Tex.

De:Bug is a Berlin-based online and print magazine which reports about non-clubbing events in Berlin. exhibitions, conventions (such as the Berlin Music Week), and such present decent opportunities to meet others involved in the scene. There are a couple of other websites and fanzines/magazines to check out. Unfortunately, those I can think of right now are all in German just like De:Bug.

final words: no worries, techno (the generic term with which germans refer to electronic music as a whole) is f**king huge in berlin. you're bound to get to know people involved just by hanging out there.

Tech Mentor

Berghain, Watergate, Weekend
    Xone 42, X1, Audio 8, Maschine mikro

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by pychonaut View Post
    final words: no worries, techno (the generic term with which germans refer to electronic music as a whole) is f**king huge in berlin. you're bound to get to know people involved just by hanging out there.
    I beg to differ.

The only people in germany referring to electronic music as a whole as "techno" are the mainstream media....

And saying that you're bound to get to know people involved in the music business just by hanging out in Berlin is about as true as saying you were bound to get laid by a hot blond chick just by hanging out in the streets of stockholm....

That said, electronic music really is big in Berlin, i.e. if you are more into some more "underground" type of music, if you're looking for stuff like Avicii, SHM or any other of that "EDM" stuff Berlin is not a single iota more interesting than any other city in this world.

A good source to see what's going on is Resident Advisor (http://www.residentadvisor.net/), like pychonaut said.
    Last edited by TCMuc; 09-11-2012 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    The only people in germany referring to electronic music as a whole as "techno" are the mainstream media....
    And you are wrong. Techno IS the generic term in Germany (and in Berlin in particular).
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

I still like Tresor a lot. Less pretencious as Berghain, easier to get in, and always about danceable techno (Berghain tends to loose itself in weird nights with experimental stuff, in other words; empty dancefloor)
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    And you are wrong. Techno IS the generic term in Germany (and in Berlin in particular).
    Then maybe Munich is not a part of Germany (kinda like that thought, though... ), or the Germans I talk to about music who refer to house as "house", to trance as "trance", and to techno as, well..., "techno" aren't really Germans but disguised aliens who are trying to confuse me...

But how should I know, I'm only German.

Hit up Katerholzig!
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast