making all the cables longer in my vci-100
    Tech Convert

Default making all the cables longer in my vci-100

I'm a engineer by trade...now looking to do a custom midi mixer/ dvs controller
    out of my vci-100

ok...this is the plan

take my vci-100...cut it in half , just at the top off the jog-wheels
    so I can keep the top half
    make a new bottom half ( BODY )for the faders & crossfader
    re-move the 8 square vci buttons & put in 8 new arcade buttons
    4 buttons down the bottom & 4 up the top off the new body
    re-move the jogwheels
    re-move the old crossfader & put in a pro x fader
    put the line faders back in but move them to the out-side's ( as far left & right as I can )
    now for the space between the line faders I will put a 8 inch lcd touch screen

this will be cool as I can have my mixvibes decks with wave & the mix window on the mixer & my play list on my laptop

now for the jogwheels....make another body 100 mm [W] by 400mm [L] by 30 mm [D]...the second body will mount on two swing bracket on each end so I can change the angle from 30 degree's to 60 degree for better viewing angle

the front body with the lcd screen + the vci-100 half cut & the second body ( back body ) for the jogwheels will all be put in a turntable road-case to hold it all in place

for this MOD I need to make the cables a lot longer

NOW for my question.....can I just cut the cables ( the cables for the jogwheels & the crossfader & the line faders ) in half and put longer wire between the cuts to make them longer..????

some pics off my old mod with a sound card & hard drive
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

From someone who works on electronics and circuits all day, desolder the wires and resolder the length of wire that you need. Extending the wires by splicing is the easier way to do it, but also won't last as long and has the potential to add way more problems than just replacing the whole wire with the size you need. Make sure that you match the guage of wire as closely as possible also, because this can cause problems with signals.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

that's what i would say to, and welcome to the forums

looks like a functional little bottom for the vci-100, do you know how much weight it added?

Tech Convert

thank you DJ Phaidon & Charo for the help & the welcome

the bottom off the vci is make from 1.6 aluminium...so its light weight
    all the weight comes from the sound card & hard drive
    its all painted black now

[IMG][/IMG]

I would give it to you but ..I'm going to use it for the front body of the new mod
    I'm going to turn it up-side-down cut the hole for the lcd screen , drop the headrest frame into the hole to cover the cut lines , drop the lcd screen into the headrest frame so it looks nice & clean
    this is the size off the screen
    [IMG][/IMG]

cut the holes for the buttons & the slots for the faders...too eazy..this will give me a big screen to look at but also give me alot off room around the faders for scratching with the jogwheels out of the way

its just the wiring thats going to give me some problems.....might just have to pay someone to do that for me....so expect some more NOOB questions from me...LOL
    Last edited by wazza; 06-22-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Tech Convert

I think I will just cut & splicing the cables....
    I have being talking to my boy Aaron here in OZ & thats what he did with his Vci-100 mod...& he says he's had on problems with his mod

this is a pic off his vci-100 mod ALL IN ONE MIDI + P.C in a box

[IMG][/IMG]

this thing is COOL..!!!

That thing is bad ass. Make's me want to buy a vci just to hack it up, and have randomly placed lighted jog wheels.

what does the red led part do between the jogwheels?

i remember seeing that pic on djforums

Tech Convert

yes..... I posted the pic over at djforums.com...

between the vci-100 jogwheels is 8 high-resolution encoder knobs , 16 buttons
    below that is 8 nice 100 mm motorized faders all robbed from a Behringer BCF 2000 midi controller

that's pretty amazing to crunch three controllers in there. that's a lot of control.

does he use mixvibes too?

what kind of problems was he having?

Tech Convert

sorry its taking me so long to post back Charo
    had no time....all time is taken up wth Beta testing VFX video mixing software

yes .....he is a mixvibes & ableton user + others
    he had no problems with he's mod ...just no space & trying to fit all that shit in the case