How much pitch change til the key changes?
    Tech Mentor

Default How much pitch change til the key changes?

On the Armin Van Buuren video he said pitch +/- 8 bpm's is about a key change.

and on the 9 inch remix site it says pitch +/- 3% is a key change.

But I noticed if I pitched up a 126bpm track to 130, its already 3%...

How much pitch change until the key changes?

thx

6% completely changes the key, but it's best to stay under + or - 3%.

http://community.mixedinkey.com/Topi...armonic-mixing
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Quote Originally Posted by firebr4nd View Post
    6% completely changes the key, but it's best to stay under + or - 3%.

http://community.mixedinkey.com/Topi...armonic-mixing
    yep. i would stick to +/- 3% mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

cool, thx guys....

I tried using master tempo on my cdj and I noticed the beats arent staying in sync after I beatmatch?

I have to turn it off in order for the beats to remained sync, is this right?

and for those that used the rekordbox key detection, is this accurate as mixed in key?

thx

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by 123xyz View Post
    I tried using master tempo on my cdj and I noticed the beats arent staying in sync after I beatmatch?

I have to turn it off in order for the beats to remained sync, is this right?

I don't know what master tempo should have to do with the beats staying in sync...

The only thing that is influenced by the master tempo is the tracks pitch/key, the tempo stays the same...

If your beats don't stay in sync, they are most probably not properly beatmachted...

Technically a track is perfectly in key at 0%, and +/-6% is exactly one whole key up or down. Therefore up to +/-3% it will stay in the same key as it was on 0% but any more than +/-3% you will be closer to the key it would be at +/-6% (to figure out what the new key of the track would be at +/-6% go up or down 7 places on a Camelot Wheel). This is because 3 is the halfway point between 0 and 6, however a track played around the +/-3% mark is actually lying kinda between the two and will sound quite off key, and should be avoided if possible. I tend to either stick below about a +/-2.1ish% change or go the whole hog and go up or down more than 4% and make the necessary calculations. Sometimes although a track might initially appear to be in a harmonic key, it might not work so well once you've got it in time if you have to speed it up or slow it down too much, in this instance it is often better to just to choose another track which will go better.
    All this is just theory stuff though and in practice I reckon its fine to break any or all of these guidelines. If it feels good, do it!

*edit: you may be referring to how sometimes things can sound pretty ragged with master tempo switched on, particularly if the track is slowed down a lot. This is due to artifacts being added to the sound, which degrades it. IMO the better the production of the track, the more noticeable the effect of master tempo. Turn it off.
    Last edited by Le Goat; 09-13-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    With the ill behaviour...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    I don't know what master tempo should have to do with the beats staying in sync...

The only thing that is influenced by the master tempo is the tracks pitch/key, the tempo stays the same...

If your beats don't stay in sync, they are most probably not properly beatmachted...
    I have everything beatmatched with master tempo on and the tracks dont stay sync.....once i switch it off, everything is sync'd.

I think I'm going to leave it off

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Le Goat View Post
    Technically a track is perfectly in key at 0%, and +/-6% is exactly one whole key up or down. Therefore up to +/-3% it will stay in the same key as it was on 0% but any more than +/-3% you will be closer to the key it would be at +/-6% (to figure out what the new key of the track would be at +/-6% go up or down 7 places on a Camelot Wheel). This is because 3 is the halfway point between 0 and 6, however a track played around the +/-3% mark is actually lying kinda between the two and will sound quite off key, and should be avoided if possible. I tend to either stick below about a +/-2.1ish% change or go the whole hog and go up or down more than 4% and make the necessary calculations. Sometimes although a track might initially appear to be in a harmonic key, it might not work so well once you've got it in time if you have to speed it up or slow it down too much, in this instance it is often better to just to choose another track which will go better.
    All this is just theory stuff though and in practice I reckon its fine to break any or all of these guidelines. If it feels good, do it!

*edit: you may be referring to how sometimes things can sound pretty ragged with master tempo switched on, particularly if the track is slowed down a lot. This is due to artifacts being added to the sound, which degrades it. IMO the better the production of the track, the more noticeable the effect of master tempo. Turn it off.
    say I have 2 [A Minor] tracks. 1 of them is 128bpm and the other is 132bpm. The 128 track is playing, what if I pitch it up to 130 and mix the 2nd track (132bpm) in at 130bpm?