Sliders for pitch control using UMC32
    Tech Wizard

Default Sliders for pitch control using UMC32

Hi Guys,
    Im new to this forum. Im currently looking into building a midi controller for traktor using a UMC32 (or even two of em!)

What i cant seem to find is some high quality, stiff 100mm sliders I could use for pitch sliders. has anyone found any nice ones on their travels? something with the feel of a technics one but maybe longer would be nice.

Anyone else used the UMC? im a complete beginner so any examples of other peoples setups would be nice

Cheers
    Neil

I really like these...
    http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...aol0000ce7.pdf
    But, it doesn't have a center indent. Which is not a big deal to me, but you can find ones that have it. Look around on different sites, and i'm sure you'll find something you like, remember to get "Type B" tapers, they are the only option for pitch control.
    And yeah i have a UMC i picked up a while ago, i mainly use it when prototyping, to test out my setup functionality. But it's a nice piece to have around, i've also got 2 set boxes i swap it in and out of regularly, 1 has 9 faders, 16 knobs, and 6 buttons(transport controls); the other is just a 8x8 button matrix i made up out of spares. They're both super simple, but they seem to get quite a bit of use.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upDrew View Post
    Hi mate, thanks for getting back to me. These look good and im glad they dont have the centre dent.

Im struggling to find any reference to "type B" on the sites which stock these in the UK. Is that to do with the stiffness of the slider? It needs to be stiff (ooh er)

something like this:
    http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic/evan...10k/dp/8796106

Actually, after looking at the PDF link you sent it looks like the last 3 digits of the serial number is the Taper and resistance, so the one I found is taper B resistance 14 ? whatever that means...
    Last edited by kingnerk; 06-24-2009 at 08:44 AM.

http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm

Here's a nice little article i found that describes the taper, and much more about pots.

Tech Wizard

Hi thanks for the article. very interesting (in a geeky way!)
    So the sliders you got are quite stiff? ie you couldnt flick them and it go from the bottom to the top?

Cheers

I don't know about that, i can flick pretty hard.... No, probably not.
    They're not super stiff, but they're nowhere near rail glides either. They are about the stiffest 100mm's i've came across, i know a stiffer model, but they only make them up to 60mm.

And since you liked the article, and are starting you midi journey, you might as well get started on Midi.org. The have more online resources for just about everything imaginable with midi. And if you really get into midi, they have several books on there that are pretty much required reading in the midi world.
    Last edited by Str8upDrew; 06-25-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upDrew View Post
    I don't know about that, i can flick pretty hard.... No, probably not.
    Ok sounds good, thanks for your help, I will give them a bash