How do you use Ableton? Studio/Live/Dj

Default How do you use Ableton? Studio/Live/Dj

Hey guys, I'm opening this thread so that all of us Ableton fans post comment and share how we use it. Studio use, workflow, live perfomances, regular djing, rewiring.
    Hopefully this space will provide inspiration for everybody learning different work methods that people use.
    Feel free to share your projects, videos, etc!

Let me start.

STUDIO:
    I use Ableton as my main DAW complemented with a couple of vst plugins. The standard ones, massive, psp vintage warmer, izotope, etc.
    For my workflow I usually have a custom template that I have been tweaking for the past months where I have all kinds of synths, effects, drum kits that I like and tend to use regularly. This really makes shorter the sound design phase of any song.
    I usually start with a 4/4 kick loop in session and start messing around with basslines or ocasionally pads and spacial stuff. Once I have figured out something that I like I switch as soon as I can to arrangement view so as too visually figure out the structure of the track.
    Sometimes I tend to rewire Reason through ableton.

LIVE:

I have a template of 8 audio channels divided into Drums, Bass, Synths, B4 organ(M), Arpegiated syntth(M), Miscelaneous, Vocals, Effects.
    Here I load up loops of my own tracks as well as other peoples tracks, loops, samples etc. I trigger everything in session view with my launchpad. I control volume, filters, sends and effects with a Behringer BCR2000 which is custom mapped. I use a 49 key midi keyboard to play with the organ and the apreggiated synth.

Well thats basically how I work. Soon I'll try to upload my Liveact.als so that you can see how it is like. If you check my soundcloud there is a mixtape I did with this concept.

Hope this helps for some of you

And again.
    How do you use ableton?

Seems every Ableton Live project I have since the 2.3 days (500+?, can't count) each have different settings. Oh well.. After a while it's organic, you configure each project based on a specific thing in mind.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

I run ableton and ITCH together in my DJ setup:

DDJ-S1 with audio from mbp running into aux 2.

I have a novation launchpad running its default firmware launching tracks and scenes.
    On User 1 I have the midi routed to iZotope's Stutter Edits Stutter macros

I have a midifighter 3d running a bastardized version of mad zach's ableton rack...loaded with one shots and samples as well as his scratch macro automation on a second bank.

I use a Kontrol X1 for modifiers for the scratch macro via the knobs.
    I also have 3 of the buttons mapped for "Nudge -" "Nudge +" "Tap Tempo" and "Play".

I spin tunes like normal with ITCH and once the groove is going i break into some preorchestrated clip launching workflows (follow actions, dummy clips, bounced tempo transitions) in ableton.

I achieve this by tapping the tempo of my current track in ITCH and then using the play and nudge keys to beatmatch where I am and then mix out. The magic happens when I jump to my first scene...i have this tempo mapped so i get back to the right tempo as soon as I transition into the set. I drum around on the midi fighter...keep the vibe and song selection where I want it with the launchpad and then cut it up using the stutter edit. When i'm ready to go back into itch i beatmatch and/or scratch my way back into itch.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewnorthern View Post
    ........The magic happens when I jump to my first scene...i have this tempo mapped so i get back to the right tempo as soon as I transition into the set. I drum around on the midi fighter...keep the vibe and song selection where I want it with the launchpad and then cut it up using the stutter edit. When i'm ready to go back into itch i beatmatch and/or scratch my way back into itch.
    Link to a mix please, this sounds awesome!!!!!

I have recently discovered the magic of s2 Traktor midi to Ableton and it is amazing. I have a huge amount of learning ahead of me but i have the love to make it happen.

I like ableton + reason + samplemoog for making beats and remixes.
    http://soundcloud.com/razzlesnaz
    http://www.mixcloud.com/Razzlesnaz/
    http://mixlr.com/razzlesnaz/
    Ableton Suite 8.3/Reason 5/ Sub Boom Bass /Massive/Razor/DCAM Synth Squad/ Akai MPD26/ Novation LaunchPad/Traktor 2.5/Kontrol S2/Kontrol S4/ Kontrol F1/Radium Keyboard/Focusrite Saffire 6/UC-33e