S4 audio pops/clicks with Windows.
    Tech Wizard

Default S4 audio pops/clicks with Windows.

Hello.

I'm sure a lot of you are aware of this problem with Windows with regards to audio pops/clicks/glitches etc when using the S4.

Now I know the usual fix is to disable processes,etc but I want to know something.

I have disabled a lot of stuff already and still my memory is over 20%.

So why won't getting more memory fix the problem?

If not then how can this be a CPU problem if the CPU load is only a few % when not running Traktor Pro, and then jumps to under 40% when running Traktor.

Let me know your thoughts about this.
    (Especially because it's not possible for me to get a new Windows (I currently use Windows Vista Business), or to buy a Mac. And it's irritating to have to disable running processes and boot-up processes each time).

Tech Guru

Audio performance is not affected by how much memory you have. What are your S4 latency settings? And what have you disabled so far?

Increasing the minimum processor state in Power Settings can help massively with audio.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

also keep in mind you should shut certain things off which we take for granted when running these midi devices.
    The things i shut off when i start up my stuff
    which includes (S4 + F1 + MF3D + TP2.6 + external 1gig HD + USB Mouse plugged in)

now thats a bit of stuff that wants to use memory right? and i am on window.
    i turn off

Windows Firewall (---this is important---)
    Ethernet connection adapter (---this is important---)
    Wireless Connection adapter (---this is important---)
    my extra firewall program
    Malwarebytes ( malware watching program )
    and theres some other program i turn off which was installed automatically with windows.
    In the task bar it looks like a GREEN BLOCK with a check mark on it but i dont think it exists in Vista.

I used to have the same problem as you, and on screen things would freeze for a second but nothing would STOP RUNNING.
    When i shut down all these items, i never had a problem again

One more thing..... do you have everything pluged into a HUB? and is the HUB powered or UN-POWERED?
    Do you have anything extra plugged into your USB ports that you dont need to have plugged in?

These are just some general questions to notice on at first

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the replies. I've already done what you guys suggested before posting (and other tweaks as well) and it's still giving me grief (audio dropouts).

Changing the latency settings in the Traktor audio settings doesn't help either (have tried basically all combinations).

So how can one prevent CPU spikes when running Traktor?

Also, I have AVG anti-virus installed but can't disable two of it's services called `avg watchdog' and `avgids agent' in msconfig.
    Maybe if I could disable these it would help with the dropouts?

This is really frustrating. I can only play a track about half-way before it gives dropouts.