VCI100 Poor Jog wheel control

Default VCI100 Poor Jog wheel control

Hi All,

ive had my vci for just over a year... while very pleased with the unit ive recently noticed that the left hand jog wheel is becoming less responsive to my touch - however much i tinker with the rear pot, to control sensitivity???

ive had the unit apart to clean the contacts of the jog wheel and also added some electrical contact lube to the inner spindle... not that it made any difference... so am now wondering if the pot on the rear of the vci is the problem???

As the pot is a sealed unit there is very little i can do apart from sweep to both extremes a couple of times to try and clean the contacts....

Ive also checked the controller settings with in traktor just in case they some how changed... but both left & right settings are the same!

problems i get using traktor because of this is deck a can be a pain to 'q', spin backs are no longer possible and at best all i can get is deck a to pitch up or down! gutted

Would really appreciate some advise here as im now at a loss as what to do next... was thinking swap left jog wheel with the right one just to see if the problem remains, but that means a little hassle so i thought i'd ask the kind ppl here first!

also note i can put my whole hand on the wheel at nearly full sensitivity and nothing happens... then all of a sudden the deck will pause and will not release until i reduce sensitivty!

Thanks in anticipation!
    Regards,
    Matt (mjmac)
    http://www.mjmacintosh.co.uk
    http://mj_macintosh.podomatic.com

Tech Wizard

I'm having the same issue - left jog wheel - when i spin in either direction it doesn't seem to want to respond smoothly - it slows down a bit from the speed i'm spinning at every 2 seconds or so. sometimes after restarting it works again but then the next time i launch traktor it happens again.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

I would replace the adjustment pots, it is likely they have a crack causing this kind of problem.

Though you could try touching up the solder joints before going to the extent of replacing them

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    I would replace the adjustment pots, it is likely they have a crack causing this kind of problem.

Though you could try touching up the solder joints before going to the extent of replacing them
    Yup, sounds like a hardware issue i think midifidler is right on the money as allways on this one

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post

Thanks for the data... what would be the best way to approach this? Where in the controller would I find the adjustment pots and/or how would I access them? I'd be willing to give it a go, but wouldn't want to go tinkering without some instruction.

Since the firmware update I'm assuming my VCI warranty has been broken, otherwise I would just send it in for repairs. (Originally got it at DJ Deals) So any input is most welcome!

Me too left deck!!! Does it ever happen to the right deck?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

Well, nothing needed to be soldered. I opened it up and found a chunk of lubricant on the encoder disc. Used alcohol to clean it and also loosened the screws that hold it down so that it would be flat. Works like a charm now! The lubricant I used on it apparently didn't do the trick though because it makes a quiet grinding sound now where the contact is. I guess I'll look into some other possibilities. Just a minor irritation though. This was where I found the solution:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/01/0...-on-a-vci-100/

Even though it wasn't a stiff jogwheel the PDF helped me overcome my fear of taking it apart.

Tech Wizard

Okay I've tried p.t.f.e. lubricant and still had grinding and then tried silicon spray and still have grinding. What's the best lubricant to use for the jog wheels? Would 3 in 1 be alright?

HAH - it's called a search. I think I might find the answer around here somewhere. Although I'm not sure if I'll find some of the said items anywhere in my area.
    Last edited by buggles; 07-01-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Yup, sounds like a hardware issue i think midifidler is right on the money as allways on this one
    Hi all,
    so I got to trouble with right jog wheel. I got it second hand, but while I was buying it, it did not particulary felt like nothing problems.

After little time, speed of spin dropped on both of them. Right got worse and it got sticky and lagged. When I softly turn jog back and forth I hear slight clickin and if sensor sensitivity is not completely turned down, it get sticky - it stops the track thinking I am touching sensor even I am on outside rim. Its also unpredictible. If I touch it from top its has bit more freedom to move from side to side.

I would be happy for suggestions. I did not dare to open it up, I had downloaded PDF with repair instruction, just any suggestion what and why this is will help me. I am not that eager to experiment on my toy.

I got no support on Vestax forum, very much looking forward for your help.

Thanks for suggestions.

Cheers to all.

Quote Originally Posted by buggles View Post
    I'm having the same issue - left jog wheel - when i spin in either direction it doesn't seem to want to respond smoothly - it slows down a bit from the speed i'm spinning at every 2 seconds or so. sometimes after restarting it works again but then the next time i launch traktor it happens again.
    Sounds like a problem I had a couple weeks ago. What fixed it for me was opening it up and bending in the metal contact that touches the jog spindle. It was not making a solid contact when I spun the jog wheel, so bending the contact in insured solid contact.