I need some help/advice! Transitioning from S2 to turntables?
    Tech Wizard

Default I need some help/advice! Transitioning from S2 to turntables?

Here's the situation. I want to DJ for my school's radio, and plan on playing top 40 mainstream/pop/radio(maybe some hip hop) because I feel that's what most college kids here would enjoy listening to.

My school's radio station uses turntables when DJs mix, and they have it all set-up so it can be streamed live. If I'm not mistaken they have Technics, not sure of the model though. I would need to use my laptop as my music is there, and I would like to use Traktor Pro. So I have two questions: Are there any mappings for turntables/mixers for traktor, if so where can I find them? Also how can I prepare myself to use turntables and a mixer(as a DVS), aside from beatmatching(which I'm trying so hard to learn)?

*I've never used turntables, ever, and I'm trying to save up so I can learn to scratch, cut, and all of the technical stuff. Also I tend to use the jogwheels of my S2 to pitch bend tracks so the beats match, is there something similar that can be done on turntables?

Thanks in advance

Tech Wizard

Which software does your schools station have?

That will guide what sorta mixer they have and if they have an Audio Interface (e.g. Rane SL2/3/4 or Native Instruments Audio 6/8/10)

I suggest you pop in way ahead of your show to have a proper look around.

Ask if you can bring your S2. You can simply plug into a channel on the mixer.

Tech Wizard

I will do that once I get a chance, but that brought up another question; If I were to plug in my S2 to their mixer, assuming I'm able to use Traktor, would I be able to control both the turntables and my s2 via the mixer?

Tech Wizard

If you plug in your S2 to the mixer, it then implies you have 2 different systems running assuming you dont disconnect the turntables.

so basically can bounce between the Stations system and yours.

The TTs will control the traktor/serato/vdj.

im guessing they have either of those running.

Yes you can. Just get enough of all kinds of connector cables so whatever they use could be connected to.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Wizard

if they have a mixer you could arguably just bring your controller to each show and set it up into their mixer and use your own gear.

Don't see why that shouldn't be a problem.

As for "mappings" for turntables and Traktor... it doesn't really work like that. It's a digital vinyl control system, so basically the vinyl records have some binary code or whatever printed onto them that provides a signal to the computer system dictating where the needle is in terms of the waveform on your computer. All you really need is the DVS box/audio interface for Traktor or Serato and it will work. If you want control over loops, cues, etc, you'll need a separate midi controller for that.