Traktor as a Plug-in?
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor as a Plug-in?

I know Native Instruments is working on making Maschine and Traktor more integrated (let's all hope that the Maschine can act as a trigger bay for Traktor soon), but just as Maschine (the software) can be used as a stand-alone software kit OR be a plug-in for pretty much any DAW, wouldn't it make sense for Traktor to follow in the footsteps of Maschine and make the best of everything available? I would assume that if anyone really wanted to be a Controllerist, wouldn't it make sense to work in a DAW environment (thereby having complete BPM sync, access to multiple VSTs and direct access to everything all through one interface)?

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalTiger View Post
    I know Native Instruments is working on making Maschine and Traktor more integrated
    Really? Is there an official statement or is this more or less just a guess?

I know this won't replace a Traktor VST, but if you're interested in using some of Traktor's effects in your DAW environment you can buy "Traktor's 12".
    The NI trio - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Maschine - Komplete - and some more gear...

Tech Wizard

I thought that's what the PR lady said after they fired the last Product Manager for Traktor and apologized for the perceived bait-and-switch when Traktor 2.5 came out... and then there's that post from Ableton's website stating as such: https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=183965

I'm not holding my breath for Traktor as a VST (or Max for Live plug-in), but I really would like to see better integration between Traktor and a DAW if for nothing else just to keep up with the (apparently dead in the water) "The Bridge" project from Serato and Ableton.

Deckadance is a plug-in so yes it would be nice to properly incorporate Traktor into Live, for example. I doubt it will happen as I expect the coding, especially UI, being very app centric and would cost a lot of time and money to change. But adding ReWire support should not be hard.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Wizard

Good to know, it's been a few years since I've been serious about a DAW and MIDI keyboards, but DJing led me back here. I have a Novation Twitch, a Novation ReMOTE 25SL Mk2 and I just bought the Native Instruments Maschine Mikro Mk2 (expecting delivery sometime after the 1st of October) in addition to my legacy hardware (Korg 01/w and my Emu Esi-32). It's going to be very interesting merging performance with DJing. Most of my DJ friends just don't get it... song choice is critical, but this is how the heavy-hitters will swing in the very near future.

There are many DJs out there today that use Maschine + Traktor + Ableton Live + synths and so on, Chris Liebing, Richie Hawkin and so on. So it's nothing new under the sun. But I like anyone who tries to take DJ:ing one step beyond the normal two-track transition playing.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalTiger View Post
    I thought that's what the PR lady said after they fired the last Product Manager for Traktor and apologized for the perceived bait-and-switch when Traktor 2.5 came out... and then there's that post from Ableton's website stating as such: https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=183965
    If you intended to hint at the "or sync it with other gear like TRAKTOR PRO 2 (sold separately) to add more dynamics to your live set."-sentence then this is no news.
    It's already possible to "sync" Maschine and Traktor via midi clock send and slave. This is no hint for an upcoming deeper integration though...
    The NI trio - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Maschine - Komplete - and some more gear...

Actually I think it would be better if it worked the other way around; Traktor becoming more DAW-like. It would be cool if you could actually run something extra inside of Traktor instead of having to internally wire midi clock to Maschine. With additions like remix decks I don't think NI is too far off from having a complete daw, the just released an EQ package. No I don't think we will ever have an all-in-one solution like Abelton, But Maschine for production and Traktor for performance could make a powerful and integrated set up!

I don't get why would you like to integrate Traktor as a plugin to a DAW.
    Same of the contrary, even though I see the potential of a VST integration in Traktor, I don't see how it could become a production software.

People try to think that thanks to controllerism and new features (like remix decks), production and DJing are getting closer one to another, but I mean, if you state that you've only imagined the upper part of the iceberg music production is.

I would not mind using Traktor for remixing inside Ableton Live (or Logic). That would be fun. Doubt it will happen, though. As for live, too many parameters that could go wrong...
    ---