Can I buy any standard Vestax VCI-100 and upgrade the FW to 1.4 and it will work?

Default Can I buy any standard Vestax VCI-100 and upgrade the FW to 1.4 and it will work?

As above really =)

Tech Wizard

That's exactly what I did my friend. Found a used VCI on Guitar Centers site, bought the firmware kit & overlay, flashed it and went on my way. I added an F1 a few months back, which required an update to 2.5, everything still works in the latest mapping (with the exception of the remix decks, which none of the all in ones can control yet).

DSC_0029.jpg

Have fun

Excellent, thanks mate. My friend will be pleased. Wish id known this when I spent £600+ on the SE years ago.

With the F1, are you only able to control the remix decks on 1 deck? And is that all you use it for?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Moo View Post
    With the F1, are you only able to control the remix decks on 1 deck? And is that all you use it for?
    It's easy to switch between decks on a single F1.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Moo View Post
    Excellent, thanks mate. My friend will be pleased. Wish id known this when I spent £600+ on the SE years ago.

NP. You could technically flip all four decks to remix decks and control all 4 with 1 F1, but you'd have to be a freaking maniac to actually create anything that sounded good using them that way.

I've screwed around with a number of ways to merge the two, and what I mainly do now is set Deck A and B as track decks, and C & D as remix decks. Usually I only actually use D though. There's honestly as many ways to use it as your imagination could conjure. I've whipped up some remix packs where I've got all kicks on the left row, then drum fills on the next row, bass, and finally synths, drops, acapellas or cool little fill sounds on the right. You can do something as simple as cut the bass on deck A (maybe on a great older track that doesn't have the thump you're looking for) and drop in some crazy fat kicks. Or you can use it as a bridge, play track on deck A mix out of A by jamming out on the F1 for a few minutes then mix in B. Another fun thing is to cut up a track into four, 16 bar loops (Intro, Chorus, Drop, Break, whatever you love from it), and arrange them in a row, then fill up the other slots with loops and builds, one-shot effects, basically whatever sounds good with it and you've got a fun remix set of your song to jam on. Yet another fun thing is to cut loops from multiple remixes of the same song, and mix between them. Another ridiculously easy thing to do that sounds really cool is to drop in a classic acapella over a long breakdown.

Another cool thing is that you can control a remix deck with both the VCI and the F1 at the same time. So I have all of the control of the F1 (filters, mutes, faders, etc.), which are primarily per loop\channel based, but also the controls of the VCI over the entire deck. So you can twist your filter on the VCI and kill out all the bass from whatever's playing in all four channels, or you can EQ it, plus you can use all of the tricks from the DJTT mapping, like the slicer & the fader\jog effects.

Combined they are a suite of tools that far exceeds my talents and skills.

Peace