Modding DJ mixers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Modding DJ mixers

Hey ppls. Have an idea and wanted some insight to whether its possible. I want to install a MIDI PCB inside my mixer and tap the faders for video mixing controls. I've purchased a Stanton M.203 (which is perfect to gut and make a full MIDI mixer) and planning to order a livid instruments board. Any thoughts, technical inputs ideas would help. Thanx.

Buy a hale UMC32+
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Convert

I looked at that one too. I guess my real question is what terminals do I tap to get it work without frying either. I tried testing the faders to find which ones to tie into the board. Faders have 6 terminals on them.

Tech Guru

if ur an electronics noob, ur in way over your head, but if u have a fair idea you should be grand. more than likely 2 of the terminals on the faders will be purely for secure fitting to the pcb...then the other 4 will relate to the poles...i.e. two for resistence sliding up, the other two for down...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Convert

Cool. Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    if ur an electronics noob, ur in way over your head, but if u have a fair idea you should be grand. more than likely 2 of the terminals on the faders will be purely for secure fitting to the pcb...then the other 4 will relate to the poles...i.e. two for resistence sliding up, the other two for down...
    Why? I would say this is perfect for a beginner?
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

If you want to connect same those faders fro stanton mixer to PCB make sure first that those are 10K linear pots which I'm not sure they are when it comes with audio mixer.

Actually you can get away only three connections, pin 2 is usually duplicated to help fixing / build.
    line fader.jpg

I am in the middle of adding an ADJ4, Teensy 2++ and a host of other bits to an old Berry VMX300. The first thing i did though was clean up all the audio circuits in the Berry. They used consumer grade components, so I replaced them all with Audio grade ...what a difference !

One bit of advice, draw out what you think you want, look at the layout options and take your time. It's very easy to rush and drop unfiltered power onto a sensitive IC and POP! black smoke ...no sound. ...
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

Tech Convert

It's a 50k audio taper. And the rotory pots have 6 terminals. Not sure about taping those yet.

DSCF0077.jpg

On the left is a regular potentiometer (rotary pot), on the right is a 20 point rotary encoder with momentary push button.

As you can see, it's not normal to have 6 connections, unless someone corrects me, i think they must have some "pins" soldered to hold the encoder/pot to the circuit board.

To get things right, you'll need a multi-meter, connect across pairs, and write down the results when you move the rotary.

A bit of patience will bode well at this point, once you have correctly identified the connections, de-soldering them and adding flycables to them and to the pot will be easy.

If you are going to solder directly to the board invest in a good soldering iron, temperature controlled if you can and with a fine tip for when you need to get close to SMD's.
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast