Bought Pioneer HDJ-2000's, are they right for me?
    Tech Student

Default Bought Pioneer HDJ-2000's, are they right for me?

Bought these on the back of hearing good things about them from my brother's friend (who's a DJ) and from the reviews I'd read online, but now beginning to think I may have jumped the gun a bit...

While I've always been interested in DJing and intend to eventually get into it once I have the time and equipment, initially I'll be using the headphones for casual listening, be it while studying, at home, travelling etc. Rather stupidly I didn't really research how appropriate they are for this kind of use before I bought them, and from what I've read since they're not ideal for use with an iPhone or other portable devices as they don't possess the necessary power. Is this indeed the case? Would I need an amp in order to get the best out of them?

Basically I bought them through the excitement of finally finding a store which sold them and the fact they're regarded as top of the range, yet now I'm left wondering whether I shouldn't have dived in and rather looked for something more appropriate and less pricey. The Sennheiser HD 25's obviously have a great reputation and are a fair bit cheaper, while I've noticed the Pioneer HDJ-500's have got great reviews and are cheaper still, would these be better options for me at the current time?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

if they fit you they are fine!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

You don't need an amp for them. They're amazing headphones, if you're comfortable wearing them for long periods of time and the bulkiness of the chord doesn't bother you, then you should be fine using them for casual listening.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Wizard

Not sure about the power thing, but I use my dj cans for dj'ing and have others for casual listening around the house and out and bout. Walking around with big dj headphones just screams attention. Some djs may even think it's douchy. I think if you needed a casual pair of headphones you should have looked in that market of headphones before buying dj headphones and you're not even dj yet.

One thing tho, djs love headphones. I think you can never have too many.

Tech Student

Thanks for the replies all.

Quote Originally Posted by sol*los View Post
    Not sure about the power thing, but I use my dj cans for dj'ing and have others for casual listening around the house and out and bout. Walking around with big dj headphones just screams attention. Some djs may even think it's douchy. I think if you needed a casual pair of headphones you should have looked in that market of headphones before buying dj headphones and you're not even dj yet.

One thing tho, djs love headphones. I think you can never have too many.
    Yeah, the bolded part is another concern I have about them. Agree that I should have researched into it more before I bought them, but they were the last pair in the store and the excitement got the better of me.

I do want to eventually get into DJing but like I said I wanted a pair that initially would be good for causal listening before I get started in DJing once I have the time.

Any suggestions on cans for casual listening? What do you think of the ones stated in my original post? The hdj 500's have good reviews and would save me a fair whack...worth selling up for those?

Quote Originally Posted by coda View Post
    Thanks for the replies all.

Yeah, the bolded part is another concern I have about them. Agree that I should have researched into it more before I bought them, but they were the last pair in the store and the excitement got the better of me.

I do want to eventually get into DJing but like I said I wanted a pair that initially would be good for causal listening before I get started in DJing once I have the time.

Any suggestions on cans for casual listening? What do you think of the ones stated in my original post? The hdj 500's have good reviews and would save me a fair whack...worth selling up for those?
    LOL i have been DJing for 6 months and producing for a little over a year. I just recently bought a pair of $120 Sony v700 headphones. Im quite happy with the quality of sound and the frequencies. It can go above and below the human hearing range and the headphones themselves can go really loud.

I personally wouldn't have gotten dj specific headphones when you haven't even started...

Tech Wizard

Those HDJ-500s seem cool. I wanted a pair for home use, but ended up getting Sol Republic Track HD. I've even used $20 Sony's for home use. Just depend on what your looking for and can afford. I wanted something with bass to sort music at home and those Sol sure do offer that.

Tech Student

First off, who cares what other people think of your headphones? You're not trying to get attention, and the opinions of anyone who thinks so only matters as much as you let them.

Secondly, I haven't tried THAT many different headphones, but i've worked my way up the pioneer HDJ line and have finally come to rest at the HDJ-2000's. I feel very confident in their build, the sound quality is beautiful and doesn't distort no matter how much you pump them (giving me a set of mini-laptop speakers in a pinch) and they're THE first pair of headphones I can wear for extended periods of time without discomfort, which is the biggest positive for me. I've gone through extensive editing and mixing sessions without having to take breaks and rub my ears.

Couldn't recommend them more, and since you already have them...

Tech Wizard

I have both the HD25s and HDJ2000s...

The 2000s are great headphones, but after trying the HD25s, they feel a little heavy, and the earcups are a little too shallow.

The 25s on the other hand feel awesome, very light and block out noise very well. The clamp seems a little hard in isolation (i.e at home), but is much better with the velour pads. You can also stretch them using a tissue box, which I did for both the 25s and 2000s to improve comfort.

All in all, I prefer the HD25s, because they feel like they're barely there, and the SQ is excellent. (The 2000s are about the same in terms of SQ)