Transport Gear Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transport Gear Question

Hey guys, im new to the forum, and I was wondering what is a good way to transport your controller + mixer and misc. cords without using flight cases/ ata cases and also without looking like a scrub.

I just started offering my service to people and getting little gigs and I need a way to transport my stuff.

Also, im very new so and if your wondering about my setup here it is, dont laugh at me, im young and i dont have money : Numark Mixtrack, Alesis MultiMix 4, Mackie Th-15 x2

EDIT: I was also thinking about something like an aluminum case, like they use for cosmetics. This was the only example of the similar case i could find, im not sure of the other uses for it, and i cant find a cheap one under 80$
    Here is a picture:
    Last edited by Kindadinosaur; 09-23-2012 at 08:35 PM.

if you are new why is dinosaur in your name?

Tech Wizard

I remember seeing a post somewhere that a Mixtrack will fit in a 18 or 19 inch laptop bag. As far as everything else maybe some plastic containers.

no hate for a mixtrack...i liked mine when i had one...

i repurposed an old laptop bag that fits my mixer perfectly...UDG makes some really good bags that you will grow with you if you decide to change things at a later date...

http://www.google.com/search?q=udg+p...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Tech Mentor

Well here is the thing, if you are offering your services as a professional DJ then you should look, act, present yourself in every way as a professional. Obviously, flight cases are the best way but I know they can be costly as I have spent over $600 in cases alone but well worth it, not only because it is the safest way to transport but when you walk in somewhere and your client sees you have pro cases it immediately says that you take your DJing seriously and that you are the real deal. In this day and age where everyone and their grandma is claiming to be a DJ you have to really stand out above them all. I would get a some kinda of heavey duty sports equipment type bag that has different compartments big enough for everything.

Flight cases are heavy and unless you fly impractical. Don't see the connection between cases and how professional you are, main thing you get good protective cases and many soft cases are good.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

i think matt was refering to doing weddings and events like that...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Flight cases are heavy and unless you fly impractical. Don't see the connection between cases and how professional you are, main thing you get good protective cases and many soft cases are good.
    Heavey and impractical? Really? I have yet to pick up a full flight case with either a mixer, controller, CDJ or a full coffin, that wasn't heavier than the average speaker or subwoofer. Cases are made so the equipment never has to leave them, the tops are removable and made to stack so if you set up on the average table you aren't leaning over the entire time. Unless you are DJing where there is already a sound system and all you need to bring is your laptop and controller then a good soft case bag will do. If you need to bring the sound system then flight cases for your mixer, controller, cdj etc is the best way to transport and for protection. Not saying its the only way because cases are pricey for a new DJ on a budget but it is the best way and I would reccommend to anyone to have cases for all your gear.

So you are saying that there is no difference in professionalism when someone shows up with their equipment in the box it came in, or no box at all, or stacked in a crate, compared to someone that has their equipment in professional cases? It absolutely conveys to a client that you are a professional and not a hack. Its like saying why not just DJ with your ipod or an idj3?

No, I was thinking about taking an S4 to a gig in a big flight case where a padded system works as well. I agree, taking gear in a box *) is unprofessional, mostly from the point of view destroying expensive gear, I doubt the audience is interested in what boxes the DJ brought to the venue.

*) I used to gig in the eighties with a band where the keyboard player used his old DX7 box for transportation, fixed with duct tape. One evening we peeled away some of the massive amount of duct tape and the cardboard was plain mush inside.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Alright, thanks guys for all the replies. I will take all of your posts into consideration

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast