Help! VCI-100 Skips in loud clubs

Default Help! VCI-100 Skips in loud clubs

Hello good people,

has anyone else come across this problem with the VCI-100 (I'm using it with traktor)? ... when playing in loud clubs, the vibrations (both in the air and through the table/booth) can cause tracks to be 'nudged' out of sync, as if I have used the nudge button, or knocked the platter wheel. It can be seen in the box with the arrow above the track window, next to the phase meter, as it flickers whenever this is happening.

I have tried resting the mixer on foam and the travel case, which helps a bit, but I think it happens from the loud music coming through the monitors, transmitting through the air as well. Please don't suggest turning the monitors down, this shouldn't be happening, they are not 'that' loud, and it can still happen from the club sound system.
    I have tried adjusting the sensitivity of the wheels using the toggles on the back of the VCI-100, to the point where they barely perform the function they are supposed to, and it still doesn't solve the issue.

Any useful feedback would be appreciated.

Mod your map in such a way that you need to press a "shift" button for the weels to affect a playing track. If you do that you cant accidentally knock the wheel and mess up the mix. Once you are accustomed to it becomes secons nature to press the shift.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Well, I'm not knocking the wheels, and have never had that problem. Also, there is no confirmed proof that my issue arises from the jog wheels, so this may not help.

Your suggestion doesn't fix what is either a design flaw or a fault with my mixer - it's a bit of a 'patch it up' solution, thanks, but sorry.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/11/0...tion-in-clubs/

There's a collar on the jog shaft inside the VCI that you can lossen a set screw on and adjust to give the jog wheel more tension. It's a tough adjustment and will probably take a few attempts to get it right. I would only do that if none of the other suggestions in the above article work out for you.

This is a picture of what the collar looks like. from this article.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/10/0...l-vci-100-300/

Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Yeah i've had a bash at that collar before (not literally!) in order to get the movement right and balanced. I'll check the link and feedback my progress. Thanks very much. Can anyone suggest a good lubricant for the jog wheels that won't affect he conductivity and electrical parts?

Tech Mentor

your best solution is probably going to be in remapping your jog wheels as recommended by boarderbas. you say that it doesn't solve the design flaw of the controller, but it really is the best solution. you can map the modifier to the touch sensor on top of the jog wheel, that way no matter how much bass shakes the controller, the jog wheels will only be active if you're touching the top of them with your hand.

edit
    i think that it's programed into the djtt 1.4 mapping that way. even if you dont want to use the mapping you can look into it and copy down the midi commands you will need to map your jog wheels.