Studio Monitor Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by earwax View Post
    also keep in mind that you will eventually want a sub to go with them. it makes a real difference.
    Studio monitors with subs? :eek:

The first time I heared that one.

You'd want an honest sound, not one that is tainted by having more bass, as that no balance can be achieved.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post

You'd want an honest sound, not one that is tainted by having more bass, as that no balance can be achieved.
    Yeah but hes going to mix with them, its not like hes producing.

OKay.. Then rephrase the topic title to "DJ booth speaker question"..... :P

LOlz.
    Last edited by tekki; 07-16-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

OKay.. Then rephrase the topic title to "DJ booth speaker question"..... :P

LOlz.
    But if he is going to produce on the side then the setup is handy to have, that way its dual very dual purpose

All depends what hes going to actually be using the speakers for. If hes not doing production then i agree there is no real need to buy monitors and he should perhaps be looking at something else.

Than He should go for Mackie HR624.

They are ideal for both!

Say what? I'm trying to imagine hip hop producers listening to tracks in a studio without subs because it's somehow more "honest." The whole point of a monitoring setup is the accurate reproduction of the recorded sound. And almost all dance music relies heavily on subsonics heard only on a subwoofer. If you can't hear the sub levels, how are you going to mix them? They won't come through on your two-way (or at best, only the top end of the lower frequency will). The very thing that caused me to get a sub was being tired of being surprised when I listened to a mix in my car setup and having the next track's sub slam in and overwhelm everything because I just couldn't hear it and was mixing around what was audible through the two-ways.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Um... there are lots of electronic musicians who mix without subs. The issue you can run into is the subs providing TOO much bass in the mix and when you play it in the car there isn't enough.

There are so many factors contributing to what you hear comnig out of your monitors (not speakers, of course) that it's hard to say that a sub would help. Better placement in relation to your ears, better room acoustics, better monitors...

But a sub can color the sound in a bad way so keep that in mind.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

if small house parties are in store then you need some speakers...and a sub. i cant say it enough around here, and nobody is putting me up to this, but if you have the means to pull it off the best bang for your buck is here...

www.billfitzmaurice.com

he has the whole range from home theater to stuff specifically for more electronic to stuff for acoustic up to full concert level. i am working on some tlah line arrays for myself right now. after i finish those i am going to build a table tuba and then i will have the one of the best home systems anyone could ask for.

Tech Guru

It's actually pretty common practice to have a sub paired with your nearfields. If course they need to be properly calibrated, but it's not crazy talk. LOTS of production facilities do this. This is especially true since many studios have pushed to get surround capability (which includes a sub).

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

But it seems we're talking two different things.

It's one thing for a studio to have a subwoofer in a properly built room designed for mixing in surround...

it's another for me to put one in my bedroom with some acoustic pads...

That and I can't really tell if he's looking for studio monitors or a PA system
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast