iTunes DRM Purchase Before 2009. iTunes Match?
    Tech Wizard

Default iTunes DRM Purchase Before 2009. iTunes Match?

Hi All,

I've got quite a bit of music I purchased before iTunes started DRM free stuff. If I join iTunes match will I be able to upload that music to my account and then download DRM free versions? Right now if I try to load this music into tracktor, I get the blinking red bar at the bottom.

Do I actually have to "upload" this music to iTunes or do they know it's in my account as a purchase?

Do I have to upload *ALL* of the music to iTunes Match or can I just upload the stuff I want? I have a lot of random files of tracks I've produced - so no need to send those online to get analyzed - iTunes won't recognize my unreleased demos!

All of my music was purchased legally!

Fores

they add little bits of data to you files, just like traktor and many other programs... best bet is to open the track in audacity (free) and render out an mp3

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    they add little bits of data to you files, just like traktor and many other programs... best bet is to open the track in audacity (free) and render out an mp3
    Audacity Batch conversion would be miles faster than itunes match.

I believe itunes scans your files for higher quality versions available on the match service, so basically anything you have at lest say 192k is upgraded to 256k and DRM free.

And you can as far as i'm aware just upload what you want.

Tech Wizard

Wow - I'm not familiar with audacity batch processing - so you can set 8000 files up for it to check out, and export a .mp3 of an itunes song that has DRM on it???

I think I might go with match because it should fill in all the meta data and clean things up with album artwork and whatnot also - am I correct?

Thanks!
    Fores

audacity the power of opensource... i am not too familiar with match, but you can edit meta data among other things with audacity...

remember not to export and re-render over and over again as it will affect audio quality... a 320mp3 converted to wav will not sound any better

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I believe itunes scans your files for higher quality versions available on the match service, so basically anything you have at lest say 192k is upgraded to 256k and DRM free.
    Nope. It makes all your music available to download from the cloud. If your tracks exist in the iTunes Store (which they will if that's where you bought them) then it basically goes on your apple ID record that you can download that song whenever you like. If the song's not in the store, it gets uploaded.

It doesn't automatically upgrade anything, but once it's finished analysing and uploading you can just delete all your low bitrate files and DRM files and redownload them from the store, higher Q and no DRM.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES