CDJ 900 - why can't I find any 2nd hand?
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    116

    Default CDJ 900 - why can't I find any 2nd hand?

    Somewhat new to the CDJ scene. Have my eyes set on some 900s, but I'm finding them harder to come by than I'd expect.

    Any thoughts on why this is? There's obviously a handful on on eBay, but I'm yet to see one on CraigsList the last month in an EDM-centric like San Francisco. Is it not a popular device? Or is it simply so popular / so new that it's too early for there to be lots being resold?

    Also, just checked on eBay and found this. Seems too good to be true - new 900's for $1,700 a pair (seeing that they usually sell for $1,600 each on the Pioneer website). I see he's in Japan thought. Any advice/thoughts? Likely an incorrect title?

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-CDJ-...item256c0819a8
    Last edited by Ever; 09-25-2012 at 03:33 PM.

  2. #2
    RGAS Guru Xonetacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,027

    Default

    That's just how craigslist is. Look how many you see on ebay listed in the entire united states at any given time then it makes sense why they don't show up on your city's craigslist that often.


  3. #3
    Tech Mentor Viirus::..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    132

    Default

    We all know Pioneer is the industry standard. Is that why your choosing it? Reason I'm asking is I've owned several sets of Pioneer cdj's, which I loved. The last set of cd decks I've owned were Denon DN-S3700's and in my opinion put the pioneers to shame. Now the have the Denon SC-3900 which is a full on beast.

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viirus::.. View Post
    We all know Pioneer is the industry standard. Is that why your choosing it? Reason I'm asking is I've owned several sets of Pioneer cdj's, which I loved. The last set of cd decks I've owned were Denon DN-S3700's and in my opinion put the pioneers to shame. Now the have the Denon SC-3900 which is a full on beast.
    Was referring to the 900 specifically.

    That said, I've definitely seen the 3700 and was partial to it as my background is on the 1200's

  5. #5
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Boston/Worcester
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    If thats the case, I have a set of 3900's I'm trying to sell if you're interested then

  6. #6

    Default

    pioneer have some refurbished cdj900s up on their website, and they rarely have refurbs in stock. they'll set you back about 1800 for a pair after tax in CA. Not too shabby, considering the price for a new pair. Personally, I would take the factory refurbs over a second hand pair off craigslist/ebay any day of the week.

    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...00+Refurbished

    Just picked up some refurb 850s, lovin em so far, they look and perform just as new.

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    pioneer have some refurbished cdj900s up on their website, and they rarely have refurbs in stock. they'll set you back about 1800 for a pair after tax in CA. Not too shabby, considering the price for a new pair. Personally, I would take the factory refurbs over a second hand pair off craigslist/ebay any day of the week.

    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...00+Refurbished

    Just picked up some refurb 850s, lovin em so far, they look and perform just as new.
    Good call on the tax.

    Any thoughts on the ebay link in the original post? Curious huh.

  8. #8
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Boston/Worcester
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ever View Post
    .

    Any thoughts on the ebay link in the original post? Curious huh.
    Not sure....but he makes it clear not to buy them or bid before you contact him. Maybe try that and see if he see what he says. Maybe they are refurbs too

  9. #9

    Default

    Posts on ebay like that are usually really sketchy, and cant really be supported by PayPal due to the under the table nature. I snagged a pair of refurbs from Pioneer way back when, and actually ended up selling them for a tiny bit more than I initially paid for them. Another source is Amazon Warehouse Deals, I got my 2000's from them, and they were both double taped, but still sealed in the foam sheet. A hundred or so to order used or refurb from a trusted source is really going to be your best bet. This is a professional investment, the assets aren't going anywhere anytime soon, so the opportunity cost really starts to disappear over time.

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Gotchya. Yeah I figure he'd try to do a bait and switch of sort.

    New to Amazon Warehouse, thx for the heads up. I'll likely go a "trusted source."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •