New to Serato

Thread: New to Serato

Tech Student

Question New to Serato

Hi all.

Used to mix a long time ago looking at getting back into and teaching myself some production stuff too. If I'm buying gear these days do you recommend going for vinyl serato or the digital cdj style setups? Friend of mine said these days dont bother buying the vinyl as its outdated but thats what I used to use and I know its still used everywhere! Im not really looking to scratch heavily but not against it.

Is there any huge downsides to one or the other these days is what I guess I'm asking.

Thanks

Wolfsta

Tech Student

BTW posting in the serato forum as I've decided to go this route as seems to be the most common and pro used tool. Just whether i should buy turntables or digital for home

either vinyl dvd or cdjs are cool. it all depends on your style of mixing. I would suggest to find someone or a friend with gear and test it before you go spending some serious cash on 1200's or cdjs.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I'd go with a pair of used but good Technics. Great resale value if you decide it's not for you.
    Used Record Shopper

Yeah if your'e already familiar with turntables i'd say go for them, although cdjs are also good
    Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Yeah I really regret getting 1200s; they're obsolete.
    --said no one ever

Go with the turntables if you're planning on using a computer with your setup. One of the best parts about using CDJ's is the sheer fact that you don't need a computer and can just use CD's or USB sticks these days. Also, there is still mad respect in the scene for people who can still use vinyl. Be it DVS or otherwise, it's just a fact. Use what you're familiar with, with that new twist.

And if you're looking for a great way to spin Mp3's using vinyl? Serato is perfect. Little prep work, and more mixing. Also if you do decide to go down the production route with Ableton in the future... The Bridge is a neat integration that you'd be able to work with.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter