Subwoofers for mobile DJ: Cerwin CVA-121 or Yorkville LS800P or ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Subwoofers for mobile DJ: Cerwin CVA-121 or Yorkville LS800P or ?

I'm looking to buy an active subwoofer at right around $1000 or a little bit north of that. My first impulse was the Cerwin Vega 21", but I hear a lot of talk about Yorkville, but their 21" is way out of my price range. Anyone have any experience with either of these subs? Any other recommendations? I'm playing mostly in small bars, clubs and events in the 150 person range.
    Last edited by Scummer; 09-25-2012 at 08:41 PM.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Subwoofers ain't for music because bass can't be very sharp out of those. My opinion, those are only for movies, games and as active support to regular bass speakers.

I have a pair of powered 15's as well if that's what you mean. I'm just looking for some low end in a relatively small mobile setup. I'm not looking for crystalline audio quality either. I understand that when you are talking about low end SPL you are sacrificing audio quality. I want thump, boom and rumble for rooms full of drunk people who want to dance. What gear would you recommend?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Subwoofers ain't for music because bass can't be very sharp out of those. My opinion, those are only for movies, games and as active support to regular bass speakers.
    What in the world did you just say?

If youre looking for quality, take a look at the active JBL PRX subs. They tend to run around $900-$1,100 depending on the power, for an 18". Id sacrifice a bit of cone size for PRX sound, but that might be just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    If youre looking for quality, take a look at the active JBL PRX subs. They tend to run around $900-$1,100 depending on the power, for an 18". Id sacrifice a bit of cone size for PRX sound, but that might be just me.
    I've definitely looked at JBL a lot. Kind of the gold standard at this point in the game, but a lot of people also seem to say that you are paying a premium for the name. I'm probably going to end up with an 18" just for cost's sake.

I've looked at B-52 a bit today. Anyone have experience with them? Really I just want the loudest bass for the least money. Reliability and the ability to thump chests that are close enough are way more of a concern the clean sound.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    What in the world did you just say?

Sorry, let me say this way, subwoofer can't reproduce same sharp sounding kick drum as standard speakers. They are muttering a lot.

Tech Mentor

Sorry, let me say this way, subwoofer can't reproduce same sharp sounding kick drum as standard speakers. They are muttering a lot.
    You're telling us that the PA subs mentioned are better suited to movies than to music...

The subs mentioned are strictly designed for music and are more than capable of strong midbass, where you get a lot of the kick drum.

What do you consider for subwoofer mate?

What do you consider for subwoofer mate?
    In broad terms, a subwoofer is a speaker that, via an internal or external crossover, handles the frequencies between 20-200Hz... granted getting down to even 40Hz is pretty tough and requires a lot of power... i think below 30Hz or so is inaudible... they are part of just about every professional speaker array ever built... There are indeed home stereo/theater subwoofers too, but that is not what this thread is referencing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast