Purchasing my first decks. Technics 1200 M3D.
    Tech Convert

Default Purchasing my first decks. Technics 1200 M3D.

So searching through craigslist I found a guy who was wanting to trade his setup for a numark NS7. I asked him if he was looking to sell them for cash, he asked how much and I gave him an offer for 400 for the pair. He responded with 440. From what I have been researching, this seems like a great deal. I've never owned any turntables before (I own an S4). Anyways, I asked them if they were in good condition etc. and he responded with a video of him playing on them and as far as I can tell they look great and sound great. So my question to you guys is. Is this a good deal if they are in fact in good shape? AND is this a good deal if there happens to be minor deficiencies?

Short version: 440 dollars for two Technics 1200 M3D. Go for it or hold out for mk5?
    Last edited by DRshineON; 09-26-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Tech Wizard

yes that is a good deal, even if there are a couple of minor deficiencies. Go check them out, but read one of the few guides available online for buying used Technics. The guides will tell you what deficiencies are easy to fix, etc. and what to look for when you're checking them out.

Tech Wizard

These or the mk5? Depends what you want from a set of Technics really. If you plan to keep them forever as a collectors item, then obviously get the best condition you can find. Mk5g is the superior turntable, with more accurate digital pitch control, + 8/16% pitch, and improved internal tone arm wiring. They're the ones with the blue lights. However, because they're so boss, you would be lucky to find them for 440 each!

440 for mk3d is an absolute steal. Very few clubs actually have the mk5g, so the mk3 should do you just fine. You can replace any parts with genuine parts, except the paint! So my advice would be if they look good, buy them. Even a tone arm is pretty cheap to replace these days. Good luck!

Tech Convert

thanks for your responses! the deal is made! I got them for 500 with ortofon 120 cartridges and two flight cases. I've heard good things about ortofons so I'm pretty stoked. He is delivering them tomorrow! I will be sure to post lots of pictures.

Tech Wizard

pretty superb deal for 2... I paid about $400 for a single pristine condition 1210 mk2 with a dust cover and a headshell.

Tech Mentor

That's a good deal. I paid about $400 for a brand-new shop condition 1210M3D. It's a nice deck. Nice to have the pitch-reset button as well for when you just want to play records and leave the turntable alone. Throw in the Ortofons and flight cases and you have an incredibly well-sourced deal .