Xone: 4D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xone: 4D

Default Xone: 4D

Hi - I've been looking for a replacement for my S4 and been looking hard at lots of various options, but one I'd only just noticed today was the Xone:4D.

Just wondering if anyone's got one what their thoughts are about it, and if they'd still get one today ?

Cheers for any advice.
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

They look pretty awesome. Never messed with one myself but A&H always does good work.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

If you plan on doing more Live Style sets rather than just plain Ol' Traktor and/or want a proper Mixer that you can use TSP and incorporates a well, well built controller then yes 100% they are an absolute beast.

Probably overkill for Traktor use seeing as you cant use the Remix decks so I'd suggest you decide what is your workflow before deciding on the controller.

Also bear in mind the price is normally upward of triple that of an S4 (although deals can be found sometimes).

Why do you want to replace the S4 ? .. build quality, standalone mixer, moving to Ableton etc ?

cheers for the replies.

My main reason for moving on from my S4 is that only had it about 8months and some of the buttons are already being somewhat unresponsive. I'm planning send it back next week to be fixed and then likely sell it on (hopefully). I do love the S4 but that's been a bit off putting and I know for lots of users they've not had problems.

I thought I'd love the remix decks/F1 but tbh when I finally got round to working with those they just weren't for me. I'm more track oirentated and hotcues (so hoping the hotcues are still possible with the 4D)

I had been looking very hard at going the Pioneer route and loved the Aero and thought that would give me a great portable intro into that world and I can get used to Recordbox etc and be able to just take a USB to venues if they're 900/2000 equipped. But the main drawback am feeling with Aero is the lack of hotcues (I know there's talk of them being in a firmware update - but tbh it's a lot of money to put down if they're not going to be there).

So that's why the 4D caught my eye today - had never really seen one before and noticed there was lots of midi options. The jogs do look teeny on their but tbh am not really a scratcher (thought would like to learn one day as it's always handy to have new skills I think)

I've seen a 4D going new for £1000 so though bit more than a new Aero, thought it should be one I should check out.

Am hoping eventually to get CDJ 2000 Nexus decks but that's gonna take a fair while to save for, and noticed various videos on youtube of people using a 4D with their CDJs.

I've also got an RMX 1000 that thought would be nice to use with the 4D as it has 2 types of send return which also looks an attractive option
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

For £1000 it sounds like a VERY good deal TBH, so long as you can live without touch sensitive jog wheels that are rather small.

The 4D does have a scratch Certified Soundcard built in as well as being a standalone A&H mixer, you could literally map every function across 4 decks to Traktor and probably still have heaps of knobs and buttons left over, The buttons while they are very - ummm, responsive, just more travel than cue jugglers would probably like, and are much smaller than you would be used to. Honestly I'd advise you see one in the flesh or at least touch a XoneX to see what I mean.

If you want to add timecode or CDJ's later its certainly a VERY good option even just as a super tasty mixer however it is a lil heavy to bring to venues if your set is dependent on using its core functions - something to bear in mind.

The buttons are awful for cue juggling, and it weighs a tonne - but it sounds great and maps well to traktor.
    SC | MC

Huge thanks for the insights + gives me lots of food for thought on it's pros and cons.

Tech Guru

Jane I'm wondering if you purchased one as I'm considering buying one myself. The Xone S2 is playing up and I'm thinking of replacing it with this. I was thinking of using it with timecode at home/club and maybe with a couple of pl-1s mobile. Always loved A&H and the options on this looks immense.
    Anyone out there got one and love/hate it? I'd really appreciate any feedback.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

I've got one second hand for 700 euros. Was a great deal I thought, since it was (and still is) in mint condition. I sold my Denon x1600 and never looked back.
    It is a great mixer with a shitload of options. I hesitated about the buttons when I was looking for a new mixer at first, but just try them out, they're pretty sweet.

There are only a few downsides (which don't apply to me, but might apply to you):
    - It's rather big and heavy. Not something you can bring to the club (I only use it for house parties and bedroom);
    - The dark layout makes seeing the middle buttons rather hard; and overlay with markings can solve that;
    - The built-in midi shift button is not useable in real life situations as it takes a second before it gets picked up;

I absolutely love the mixer though with all it's options, sweet eq's and awesome filters
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

where i live its 20% more expensive than s4, so not really that much.
    its great value for the money imo (less than 60% of price when it was new). only its soundcard and analog mixerpart is worth the whole price of it!

agree with poster above that it might be a bit to big to lug around weights 5kg so not really that heavy.
    no led feedback for some buttons will make it harder to use in dark areas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast