Usefulness of effects - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Mentor

I think that effects are an amazing thing. I spin lots of hard dance stuff like hardstyle, hard house, EBM, I think the effects add alot of flavor to your set.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

I love using the effects in Traktor they can help create that crazy live remix and people go crazy over them! They also help sooo much when it comes to transitioning into a song which may not be possible to remix in without effects.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with Bento here. It's not the motion in the ocean, it's how you use it.

meaning, You can have the coolest most badass arsenal of VST effects, and all you'd do is have a neat way to transition between songs unless you truely understand the FX and how to use them.

Inside ableton I have designed something I call the "breakdown" button. It probably lays down 4-6 distinct FX, plus limiters, multiband compression, resonators, and more. All just there to give me an 8 measure transition into a breakdown where I might be able to bring in the acapella again or maybe the bassline, etc.

I especially love using FX on vocals. You're often inclided to hear me tossing reverb and delays on my basslines and leads, and i've DEFINATELY used the "echo out" plenty of times.

FX are about timing, design, and more and knowing how to use them strategically can make or break your set, and are what can help bring you from being just another hack who plays records, into an artist and a performer.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by nicolas View Post
    So far the Beatmasher, and all filters in traktor are my best friends.
    me and the beatmasher used to be friends, until it went all percentage-based on me. it used to be fractional, which made a lot of sense being that EDM in general is strictly fractional. changing it to percentage was fail. thats not to say it isnt still useful, but...wtf??

Quote Originally Posted by Monika.mhz View Post
    Inside ableton I have designed something I call the "breakdown" button. It probably lays down 4-6 distinct FX, plus limiters, multiband compression, resonators, and more. All just there to give me an 8 measure transition into a breakdown where I might be able to bring in the acapella again or maybe the bassline, etc.
    i wish there was something like this for traktor. also itd be cool to set up a similar 'thing' that could remix/adjust-the-beat-of any simple rythm.

FX are about timing, design, and more and knowing how to use them strategically can make or break your set, and are what can help bring you from being just another hack who plays records, into an artist and a performer.
    qft!
    as a mostly dnb oriented DJ, i find that effects are especially useful in specific places and useless in others. for example, grabbing and looping a 4 beat vocal sample over a heavy drop of another track, sounds a lot more dynamic if you drop a gater over it. a fun tool for making an almost scratch effect when used right

btw welcome back monika havent seen you post in a while
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    i wish there was something like this for traktor. also itd be cool to set up a similar 'thing' that could remix/adjust-the-beat-of any simple rythm.
    Spectrasonics Stylus RMX vst. it's quite awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    btw welcome back monika havent seen you post in a while
    Yeah, I was busy on deadline for ean and crew. ^_~ trying to cope with that plus massive remix deadlines I had no time to cruise the forums.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Spectrasonics Stylus RMX vst. it's quite awesome.
    massive! i will look into this for sure, cheers for the hookup

Yeah, I was busy on deadline for ean and crew. ^_~ trying to cope with that plus massive remix deadlines I had no time to cruise the forums.
    heh fair enough. i needa get off my ass and start production
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123